Clutch Problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Problem??

Hi, i just bought a 91 Festiva, fuel injected 5 speed trans. It shifts beautifully but in high RPM's shifting into 2nd, it slips. I wasnt sure if it was the clutch or if the clutch cable just needs to be adjusted. It shifts perfectly under normal driving and i was just wondering if it was something little that needed to be adjusted before i rip out the trans and put a clutch in it. Thanks in advance.
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Suggest you get a Haynes manual if you don't have one. In chapter one it describes adjusting the clutch free play at the pedal. Other than that I don't beleive there is any clutch adjustment.

Please put your location in your public profile; might be someone on the forum near you.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Try loosening the clutch cable. It's on top of the trans. It should have 1/4 inch of play before the cable starts to pull it. Could also be oil leaking out of the rear seal and on to the clutch. Put yoour location in you sig. and that way if anybody is close they can help you. And I know they will after seeing it happen all weekend.....
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Tom your quick.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

i have a Haynes manual, and i searched it maybe thinking that the master cylinder could be messed up, but nothing about a master cylinder. I thought maybe the clutch cable needed to be adjusted but i did not think about oil leaking from the rear main. How could i check if the oil is affecting the clutch?
          Tyler

Comment

Seemed strange that it doesnt have a master cylinder haha but i guess it doesnt need it.
            Tyler

Comment

Master cylinder on what? The clutch? Its a cable operated clutch not a hydraulic one so thered be no master cylinder for it. The only master cylinder under the hood is for the brakes.
              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
              - Unknown
              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

slave cylinder i meant my bad... i understand that its cable operated, i have never seen that before in a car. When i get home tonight im goin to check the cable and play with it a little to see if i can get the clutch to grab a little harder. thanks for the help guys.
                Tyler

Comment

good possibility............

cheap clutch assembly

I am the original

Comment

Working...
                  X