Saving money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving money

"That's all I can think of at the moment. Beginning to wonder if I'm ever gonna save any money with this thing."

I thought it was funny somebody thought they would save money messing with cars. :argue: That's just what you tell your wife, father, mother, banker, etc.
    qroger
    Last edited by qroger; 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Compared with buying a new car I've definitely saved some serious dough. I figure my costs for Luxstiva was around $100 per month or a little less, figuring in original purchase price, engine and suspension/brake swaps for Lux, oil changes, various repairs. No sure if I included lower insurance of just collision, and I don't think I figured gas.

Twinstiva is probably less, since there has been no major upgrades or swaps besides a new gas tank and new windshield. Of course she only cost $190 out of her old driveway. Now figure in she is just approaching 82K miles--lots of life left at a daily 36 mpg.

Compare that with $200 per month and UP UP UP with a new car.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^^^^
      ha ha ha!!! I feel like that guy and I just got my car!
      Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Here's the way I look at it. My 'new' festy cost me 350.00, plus about another 350.00 in replacing badly worn parts, and giving her a tune up before Madness. So, except for gas, she's cost me roughly 700.00 so far. My brother's payments on his truck are 600.00 per month, plus another 300.00 per month for insurance. My insurance on my stiva is about 25.00 a month. Plus, he spends more in gas in a week than I do in a month. Fuel economy FTW!!!

I don't really look at it as 'saving money' because any vehicle you buy is going to cost money to get, to maintain, and to drive. I look at it as I am spending far less for all of that than a lot people I know. The only way I know to 'save' money on a car is to not buy it. Beyond that, all you can really do is minimize the amount of money you have to spend to have a car, and keep it on the road. And to my mind, that's where Festivas are gold. I'll do work on my Festiva, without hesitation, that I would not dream of doing on most cars, just because Festivas are so simple and straightforward.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Stop looking at only MPG, instead look closer at DPM (dollars per mile) and you can see how any paid for car BEATS a new one hands down. My wife use to hate the fact I would buy a $500 vehicle and drive it completely into the ground and only fix the "HAVE TO's" to keep it safe and on the road. I sat her down, added up ALL of the money spent on her new car (note, insurance, gas, maintenance, every last penny) and then I showed her the DPM compared to that $500 suburban diesel I was driving at the time and she could not imagine how much cheaper it was to drive my old beater burban(22mpg) compared to her car(35 mpg) that got better mileage...
          88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

yup yup definitely know how that goes!! before i got my festie, i was driving my 95 neon dohc. DID NOT realize the the difference between a sohc and a dohc gas wise it was eating a hole in my pocket and i had a pretty descent job too!! all im sayin is if you get a neon DO NOT modify it!!! it will break down i know if you do that to any car that this will happen but its worse with a neon lol

festiva fever!!!

Comment

I paid 150 mor my car and have put aprox 4000 into it in custom parts - I've probly spent 1000 in repairs and mainenence in the 5+ years I've owned the car - I cant even tell you how much money I saved in gas alone - so if you look at the cost of a "new" car that gets barely 25mpg and costs 18,000 plus your maintenence your already ahead in the fact that you get better gas milage - you dont have a car payment - your insurence is lower - and you've put custom parts on your car to make it your own

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

once i get my festiva up and running a little better, ill be driving it to school every day. Its about a 30 mile drive one way and hopefully ill save some money on gas. My old s10 only got about 15 mpg compared to the festiva 40+. both vehicles purchased for under 500$. Its good to have vehicles that are cheap
                Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Working...
                X