engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine rebuild

ok so i might sell my red festy to a friend of mine who needs a car with good gas mileage. the problem is, my engine is shot. have any of you rebuilt the stock engine, and if so, where did you get the parts and how much did they cost? all help appreciated, thanks
    andy
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

How much are you selling it for? It may be cheaper and faster and less work to buy a known non oil burning engine and just swap it in....my.02
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Got to go with eurotiva on this one.
      Cheaper and faster to get a known good engine and swap it in.
      For the trouble, a B3 or early B6 will be un-plug, plug in and play deal.
      Then you can rebuild the B3, if you desire, or use it as a core.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Of course, rebuild costs will depend on what you do to it. A "complete" rebuild, like what used to be done to the fleet of Festivas down the alley from us, using master rebuild kits, and installing a new crank due to fillet cracks on the front snout ran with machine work 1,100.00 using parts from Advance and Auto Zone. No kidding! Of course, if you were to just rering pistons, if you dont have one burnt which is common, and just do what you have to only, you could get done for 400.00 or so counting gaskets.
        Many are buying used engines out of Japan off Ebay because they are low mileage for arouind 500.00 shipped, and for me, I chose to go with Roger's FMS crate engines, all new with timing covers, valve cover, oil pan, pulleys etc for 1500.00 ea. Only thing youi have to change on one of those is the camshaft if you have a carburated car like I have, because the cam that comes in them has no eccentric to run the mechanical fuel pump, and a temp sensor is the newer style that is larger diameter. I just got one off a Fuel Injected car.
        Have owned 9 so far
        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

wow I was just askin about this kinda thing this morning! I really was not lookin to spend that much. anyone have a good used fi motor in MI. they want to sell me?
          Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Get ahold of Tonycash... he has a fleet of festivas and most likely has a FI engine on hand.

Comment

I checked a complete reman from NAPA for $1100.
              Chuck
              Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
              If money will fix it, it's not broken
              91 GL -Ol' Rusty
              93 GL - Lil Red
              91 L - Tweetystiva
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

In winter 2001-02, I spent about $2000 for parts (from Ford)+machining+assembly to have an engine shop rebuild the engine in my pristine 88LX, which was seized due to loss of coolant before I bought it for $300. As I recall, nearly half of the total cost was just for the pistons. Clutch and flywheel machining was included, but carb and A/C were not. NAPA sounds like a good deal is you want the "peace of mind" that comes from having a new engine and the rest of the car is worthy of it.

You might also consider picking up a whole Festiva from CL West Coast and driving it home. Most stuff in those areas is rust-free. I've paid as little as $1000 two years ago for a mint-condition 93 Festy with AC in Seattle with just under 100K on the meter.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                X