Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Trip to Warren, Ohio... To see TONYCASH about a gas tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Trip to Warren, Ohio... To see TONYCASH about a gas tank!

So I figured I needed to make this thread soon, before I procrastinated it into oblivion. I would have posted last night, but I didn't get home until 10:30...

So why did I go to Ohio? That's simple. My gas tank leaks and Tonycash had one for sale for only $25... Event with the $30 I spent on gas, that would still be a good deal. He had some other stuff for sale that I was looking at too, so it was very worth it.

Around 9:40 am, I filled up my oil and gas tank and headed south, toward the Ohio. To my surprise, instead of eleventy-billion cornfields, there were a bunch of trees, and since it is fall, there was actually some very nice stuff to look at most of the way there.

About 100 miles in or so, I pulled in to a rest stop because my Festiva was making clattery noises... Oh hooray, it had already burned/leaked over a quart of oil! So I took some pictures (like the awesome one in my sig), filled the oil back up, and continued towards Warren (oddly enough, I bought my car in Warren, MI).

After paying the retardulous $4 toll, I got off the turnpike to the clatter of valves and who knows what else... Time for more oil! (Probably more like way overdue...).

I eventually got to my destination, which is very easy to find when there are 3 Festivas in the driveway.

I ended up getting the only tan cargo cover he had, plus all the hardware I needed for it (he even let me take a couple of the parts off his niece's Festiva since 2 were missing/damaged). Then we went to his storage unit and I got a 103,000 orange gauge cluster with tach for a very nice low price. Tony explained the getting stuff ready to ship is such a pain, and people would get stuff from him for less if they just came and got it from him.

But I came for a gas tank, yes? Where was that? Well, the tank he had pulled was from a carb'd car, so we had to take the tank off of his Festiva. This was not as easy as we thought. It is not just "4 bolts and poof!". More like "4 bolts, a bunch of screws, other bolts, an interior panel, 7 million fuel lines, and half the rear end'.

Yes, that is right, we (mostly Tony, since the bolts were very tight and I'm not exactly Superman) had to drop the passenger side of the rear to get the tank out... The manual doesn't say so, but honestly in this situation, we saw no other way...

So around 6:00pm (I got there at 2:30pm, about). I left, after filling the oil again, and finding out that my AC doesn't even have a belt! (Probably seized somewhere...). Tony also gave me a free passenger side window thing, whatever it is called that attaches to the crank and lifts the window...

So for less than 100 dollares, I got a cargo cover, hardware, tach cluster, window thing, and gas tank. Tony is an awesome person, especially since he went through all that trouble to get that tank off, and then still gave me change when I paid...

It rained all the way home, but I made it, after putting more oil in at McDonalds... My car doesn't even smell much like gas, after having a tank inside it overnight...

And now my essay is over! And I even consolidated some things and left stuff out! Just imagine if I had remembered everything and wrote it all here!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I got THIRTY-SIX POINT NINE mpg on the way there! in a 1989 automatic!
    Last edited by Schildir; 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM. Reason: PWNAGE MPGS!

Originally posted by Schildir View Post

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I got THIRTY-SIX POINT NINE mpg on the way there! in a 1989 automatic!

About 100 miles in or so, I pulled in to a rest stop because my Festiva was making clattery noises... Oh hooray, it had already burned/leaked over a quart of oil!
    So around 400 MPG! (of oil)

Road trips are a blast in Festys.

Glad you made it safely.

Gas tanks are a PITA! I just put one in last week.
    Last edited by David88; 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Man, I probably need to swap gas tanks on my cars....that's gonna suck!
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

You passed by my place on the way, if I'd have known I would have had you stop in!
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

a little farther

It's just a little farther for me. I would have to come around the other side of the lake from Buffalo. I have learned not to do it on labour day weekend because I would have to stop in Erie for the Polish Polka Festival.

I see you took the scenic route. I guess you hate tolls even more than I do.
          I will follow the exact same route when I bring all my goodies down from Port Huron for Ohiostiva 2010. I like driving on the lakeshore. See you there.

I wish I knew you were going. I still need a bunch of small stuff from Tonycash to get my baby rolling.

Comment

Nice write up. Glad you got everything you wanted and more.
            You need to pull that pass. rear tire and paint the wheel. Like the look of your car. 36 mpgs ain't bad for an auto.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              You need to pull that pass. rear tire and paint the wheel.
              Yes, I absolutely do. Every time I see that wheel I think about it, it'll get done someday... Maybe after I fix all the leaks, so my parents stop complaining... I don't like buying gallons of oil every few weeks either...

Comment

Josh,I appreciate the good things you said.Enjoyed meeting you.Good luck putting that "thing" in.LOL.
                P.S. I did keep the cussing to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                X