Diesel Ranger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Ranger!

This guy my dad works with just put a 3.9L diesel engine in his Ford Ranger (mid 90s model I think), The engine is so big he had to scoop the hood just to make it fit! I'm gonna see if my dad can get pictures of this beast! (and try and talk my dad into doing the same thing with HIS Ranger, mwahahaha) The guy needs a new differential, from what I hear he has to wind out the gears pretty far to keep up speed! I wanna see this thing SOOO bad!

I thought this would be something yous guys would appreciate!

Ok, well now you've gotten ------g silly. ~ MONSOON

Dad......pics, please
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

What 3.9L diesel motor?

In the mid to late 80s there was a Diesel Ranger made, one being turbo, I heard the Turbo diesel will haul some butt.
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
      1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
      2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
      2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

3.9 is likely a Cummins.
        Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

there is a guy on rangerpowersports.com who put a 6.0l in his 2001 ranger its totally insane. Also another guy who put a twin turbo 5.0l in a 93 body style.

My 5.0 swap runs and drives just need a title becuase it didn't come with one, looking for a wrecked truck to take the vin very sneaky...
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

definately need pics!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I'll do my best, maybe I'll sneak to my dad's work and take some pics! I definitely drool all over myself when he was telling me about it!

Ok, well now you've gotten ------g silly. ~ MONSOON

Comment

Are those probe wheels on yours mike? I built a 302 ranger back in the day......like '95-96.....It spun alot!!!
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Ranger is much like compact cars of 60s and 70s. They can take a small gas V8 without lot problem though some of early axles were too weak to hold up to a V8. Just little nose heavy, again much like a 60s or 70s rear drive compact car with a cast iron V8. I put a Ford 300 straight six in my Ranger and its about same weight as a 302.

But you gotta do some serious re-engineering for something bigger or heavier than that. There is webpage out there that somebody shows how he put bigger Cummins diesel in Ranger, sorry dont have link handy. He had to completely box frame and use like shortened one ton axles. He had to basically redesign and rebuild the entire truck. All he really ended up with was a compact one ton truck. Interesting engineering exercise but didnt really see the point. Lot easier to just find an old IHC Scout II. They are strong enough to take a 4cyl turbo Cummins without lot modification and are fairly compact compared to full size truck.

Comment

Working...
                  X