wheel bearing price??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing price??

anyone here know roughly what it would cost to get front wheel bearings and rotors done at a shop?? just got mine done and am tring to decide how much of a favor i owe this guy... cheers
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Just a guess but I would think one hour shop time plus parts.....
    1991 Festiva EFI
    Papabug

Comment

The last set I had done in a shop cost about $230.00 and that was with me taking the hub off the car. I just did the bearings on one side of my car this weekend. It took a while but can be done with some patience and careful application of blunt force The had to do them now because the guy I paid the $230.00 to screwed up the spindle! The bearings and seals cost me just over $40.00 at Auto Value.
      Last edited by fastivaca; 11-10-2009, 07:17 AM.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

huh, thats a bit better than the quote i got for $650 all front bearings seals and rotors! but i hear its a huge hassle to get it all apart. i think that was with 4-6 hours labour, which would set the price at not to bad imo. was that $230 just for one side Ian?

Comment

Whoa, little steep in my book!

Took front hubs in to machine shop had bearings and seals replaced for $120 US for the pair.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Just dont go to ntb
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by blue*93 View Post
              huh, thats a bit better than the quote i got for $650 all front bearings seals and rotors! but i hear its a huge hassle to get it all apart. i think that was with 4-6 hours labour, which would set the price at not to bad imo. was that $230 just for one side Ian?
              That was for both sides. Now that I've done one I'll be doing my own as the need arises... hopefully no too often.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

yeah Ian i had to chuckle a little when the haynes manual just said to take it in to a professional. i bet it was fun. i wont send my brother your way... sounds like i'm not getting a deal at all! no ones had the whole car in, not just the hubs eh?

Comment

I took both front hub assemblies in to a local shop a few weeks ago. I supplied my own bearings and seals (since I work for a bearing distributor). I had them disassemble, clean, turn the rotors and re-assemble (using the proper tools to set the preload) with my own supplied bearings. They charged me $90 total.

As for the bearings, I used Timken off our shelf. I get them for cost which is around $7.00 for the cup & cone set and about $3.00 each for the seals if I remember right. So......about $17 for parts and $45 labor (including turning the rotors) per side.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Don't buy a car and wait till the bearing start going bad to replace.

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    That was for both sides. Now that I've done one I'll be doing my own as the need arises... hopefully no too often.
                    Here at Festiva Madness Chapter, Raleigh, NC some of us pulled our money and got a press and all other needed items to do our own bearings.

Cost under 200.00 for needed press and items.

It was a great investment since several of us have more than one Festiva.

I have done my wife's car, daughters car, several of mine along with helping several chapter members do theirs.

Two 1400 mile trips to Ohio meets and one 1800 mile round trip to St. Louis and the 400 plus mile round trip to the Fourthtiva meet, No Problems!! My Festiva is driven everyday to work and road trips on weekends.

Several members were having their cars done by a national auto repair chain and another local shop that has been around over 20 years.

Wheel bearings going bad along with spindle nuts not done correct.
                    Hubs almost coming off was enough to say no more!!!!

Still much to learn about these cars as I have always been a old School kind of car person.

If you are doing your own work, please be sure to keep parts clean at all times.

Don't try use the cheap bearings to save a couple dollars, pay a little more for a better bearings and seals.

When you buy a new to you Festiva go ahead and do the bearings and you will know what you have to ride on.

Check the spindle nuts before you even drive it home!!!!!

Got one car and I screwed the nut off with just my hand.
                    This could be bad on a Highway at any speed.

Folks make your cars safer!!!!!!

Dean
                    Raleigh, NC
                    Last edited by V8Festiva; 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM.
                    The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
                    Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
                    link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
                    4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
                    Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

well ill be damned. the story gets better. after asking the mechanic to check the left balljoint for wear(who is the brother of a good friend of mine)(i had just changed the right a few weeks earlier) guess what fell outa the steering knuckle today? so not only did i seemingly pay quite a bit, i may have gotten a "bad" job done at that. to make matters worse my car was stolen friday, i just got it back yesterday, so he claims no responsibility. which is his right. but the coincidence is pretty great. well just gonna go buy some tranny fluid and that control arm... oh and apparently reusing spindle nuts is the new fad. guess it's good i just rented my own garage... sorry for the venting, just no one else understands... good news is after the tow truck and parts, it'll still be cheaper than a shop! thank God for a brain and two hands!

Comment

Working...
                      X