Bought an 87 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an 87 323

John and I went halvsies on this 323: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1474102136.html

Motor, F trans and clutch are good. One good axle, and good exhaust. Needs valve cover gasket. Other stuff like brakes and bearings TBD. Car stopped, rolled freely, no bearing noise. Tracked straight when I took my hands off the wheel. Rust free; spent its entire life in the country, no salt on roads. DX trim level: no tach or right mirror. Very clean interior other than seam split on driver's seatback. Paid $600.

Edit: trunk is HUGE. You could fit three adult bodies in it for sure! Or one mother-in-law.
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Nice score.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

B6T swap ??????
      Tim S

Comment

Nice for $600.00
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyder View Post
          B6T swap ??????
          We haven't decided what to do with it. But yeah, one of the choices is to strip the car of everything Festys can use, to include the motor and trans, and fix nothing not related to the motor. Mainly pull the motor, do water pump, timing belt and various gaskets. A B6 with rear turbo is about 130 - 140 HP.

Or we might fix it up and sell it for a small profit to someone deserving, say $200 which we would split. John has 4 good tires we can put on it BTW.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Let me know if you guys decide to sell it. I have a daughter turning 16 in January and that would be perfect for her.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              A B6 with rear turbo is about 130 - 140 HP.
              What exactly are you going to do the b6 to make it just 50hp-60hp?
              Last edited by Pu241; 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM.
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by genghis1 View Post
                Let me know if you guys decide to sell it. I have a daughter turning 16 in January and that would be perfect for her.
                Actually, I'm thinking of us selling it. $600 for the car, $400 in parts to make it safe and reliable, $1400 sale price for a $400 profit. I think John will like that.
                Stuff I want to do:
                new tires, including full-size spare (we already have these tires)
                oil flush and change; coolant flush and change
                tune-up; one new CV axle
                new brakes all around, and repack rear bearings; new crush nuts
                new LCA ball joints and tie rod ends (LCAs on gen 1 323s look more like tie rods, with ends that bolt on instead of thread on)
                only top-quality parts used of course, esp. for brakes and ball joints

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
                  What exactly are you going to do the b6 to make it just 50hp-60hp?
                  Kemp, gimme a call. My PMs are down. Left you a voicemail with my phone #.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Got it home today--lotsa vibration at hwy speeds, due I think to the axle, so I went down to 55 MPH. Vacuumed the trunk and lubed the scissor jack. Stuck the space-saver tire on my parts car and put a good 12" tire/rim in the trunk (the spare tire area won't fit a 13"). Gen 1 323s (1986-89) use the Festy wheel bolt pattern, BTW.

Decided to sell it, probably to John/genghis1 for his daughter. John/Pu241's ex didn't want it after all.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      Got it home today--lotsa vibration at hwy speeds, due I think to the axle, so I went down to 55 MPH. Vacuumed the trunk and lubed the scissor jack. Stuck the space-saver tire on my parts car and put a good 12" tire/rim in the trunk (the spare tire area won't fit a 13"). Gen 1 323s (1986-89) use the Festy wheel bolt pattern, BTW.
                      WOW.....you are pretty talented doing all that while driving down the road at 55.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        WOW.....you are pretty talented doing all that while driving down the road at 55.
                        Yeah, since I couldn't find an extension cord that was 45 miles long, I had to use one of those crappy little vacuum cleaners that plugs into the cigarette lighter. That did make it more difficult, but luckily it has the fold-down rear seatbacks so I could get in there by reclining the driver's seat. Had to use a 2x4 to reach the gas pedal. Steered with the other foot. I didn't feel comfortable doing this at 70 MPH. (Yeah I know, what a wimp.)

Of course, I didn't change the spare until I got home; I'm not THAT good.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

what....you can't do this?

89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            Oh sure, if you're doing donuts, my 89-year-old mother could probably do it. It's the driving down the hwy part that's kinda hard.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

well if it was easy everybody would be doing it.....lol
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                              X