in shop necesity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in shop necesity

hey does anyone know if a shop would have to take off the balljoint pinch bolt in order to change the front bearings and rotors? reason i'm asking is i just finished putting on a new lca, among other things, and the pinch bolt was stripped to hell. i am assuming that is why the lca came out leaving my tires at rather opposite angles. considering it was in the shop only a week b4 this happened, i am leaning quite strongly in the dirrection that he is in fact responsible, but some more hard evidence would be beneficial. i know in haynes it says you have to in order to take the hub in to get it done, but i'm not sure if they would have to take it off if they had the whole car there. cheers!
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Short answer is yes, in order to press out the old bearings, and press in the new ones, they would have to remove the hub assembly. Which would include dropping the LCA.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

sweet. that only leaves three options. (a) they were trying to kill me. (b) they didn't know any better. (c) when it got stolen 2 weeks ago they hit something soo hard it busted almost all the threads in the pinch bolt w/o dropping the lca... or wrecking the alignment. thanks, now i can follow up on this.

Comment

stripping the bolt out would not let the LCA come out of the pinch connection unless it was an undersized bolt or came completely out.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

the looseness of the pinch wouldn't cause free play in the joint, allowing it to pop out? the ball-joint is def looser than new but not too bad. i guess i don't totally understand how that connection seperates. can the steering knuckle be compromised now that it's had this happen? i will google it...

Comment

correct but with enough wear the bolt can have a grove in it where the ball joint hits it
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

The ford factory manual tells you to disconnect the hub to press the bearings in and out (I.E. removing the LCA from the Hub)
              The ball joint has a notch cut into it for the bolt to go through - this in combination with the pressure from the pinch joint keeps it inplace
              Since you said it was a new LCA i would assume that in 4 weeks time you have not put enough wear into the ball joint to remove this notch
              I then assume one of two things - the shop either put a damaged bolt back into the hub or they damaged it putting it in.
              I find it hard to belive though that a simply stripped bolt would wear so excessively to allow the ball joint to fall out - perhaps as Geneva_Dirt mentioned they put the wrong bolt in
              I would take the car back to the shop and make them pay for the tow bill

I had something similar happen to mine when I let a shop do the clutch job for me. The tech didnot get the bolt that holds the LCA to the body tight so two weeks later while making a right turn my left axle pulls out of the transmission leaving me stranded and late for work - the first call I made was to the shop so they could arrange for a tow truck to come get me.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

thanks Festiva tunner, i'm gonna definetely bring in the pinch bolt to show them. the reused axle nuts are pretty obvious... ithe new lca is actually from after the "incident" so the old bolt is pretty worn, but i asked the mech if that particular joint was alright cuz i had noticed the boot being torn just recently. he assured me it was a "really tight front end"... the ball joint is tight, but that bolt! guess i should've assumed the general public cant be trusted! appreciate the help guys. you have always been there to answer my questions. now ghostiva is feeling alot better! cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X