The Saga of X6StringerX's Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga of X6StringerX's Festiva

A little over a month ago, I stumbled upon a local classified ad for a 1993 Festiva GL. At first, I didn't give it much thought, but after thinking about it for a while, I decided that rather than purchasing a more expensive vehicle, I would just buy the Festiva and use the remainder of my cash to pay off my fiance's 2005 Focus. When I arrived at the seller's house, I was very pleased with the condition of the car. I expected it to be completely trashed, as are most vehicles that are 16-years-old with 132k miles. I test drove the car and everything seemed great. The seller explained that the car belonged to his wife, but she wanted something bigger. After some negotiating, I managed to get him down to $750 from his asking price of $1200. A couple of days passed before I was able to get to the DMV. This is where the story gets bad. After the usual 2 hour wait at the DMV, I finally heard my number being called. I greeted the person behind the counter and was pleased that I was finally about to get out of that place, when I heard the following dreaded words: "I'm sorry sir, but this title is flagged with a sold vehicle code that doesn't match your name". I had never encountered a situation such as this, so I asked the lady to explain what this meant. She basically told me that it wasn't a big deal and that someone had probably just backed out of buying the car after the seller had already filed the sold vehicle code to get the car off of their personal property taxes. She gave me a bill of sale and told me if I got it signed and notarized that there wouldn't be any problems. I thought, well, this seems easy enough. I went back to my vehicle and called the guy that sold me the car and he then proceeded to inform me that his uncle was actually the owner and that the title was still in the lady's name from whom his uncle had purchased it. Basically, the whole line about it being his wife's car was a lie. He told me to bring the title back to him and he would get in touch with his uncle to get the title transferred properly. Being that the guy was already dishonest with me once, I decided to make a double-sided copy of the title and also speek to local LEOs in order to establish some kind of record that I did, in fact, purchase the car in case he tried to do something shady. Once I did all of that, I hand delivered the title to the seller. Three weeks went by without any progress whatsoever despite my repeated phone calls. I finally received a phone call a few days shy of a month going by and the seller told me that the only way he can take care of it is if I sign a paper saying that I no longer wish to purchase the vehicle and have it notarized because all of my information is already on the back of the title. I refused. I never dreamed the situation would occur, so I didn't get a bill of sale from him when I purchased the car. To make things worse, I paid in cash. If I signed that paper, there wouldn't be anything stopping him from coming to my house and taking the car back without refunding the money. As it stands now, I have the title back in my possession, but there is no way to get it transferred into my name. I guess the only thing left to do is sell it as a parts car without a title, which is a real shame because this thing is in great shape.

That concludes the Saga of X6StringerX's Festiva. Thanks for reading. :pukeleft:

Can you try to contact the last person who is listed on the title as the owner? Maybe they can get a copy of the title and sign it over to you. Even if you pay them a couple bucks for thier trouble.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

See if the guy will sign it, as he sold it to you. Ask around for a notary public, & get it notarized.
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

That really sucks. Maybe you'll be able to get it straightened out. In the meantime you should go and add your location to your profile.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I've exhausted pretty much every option except for a law suit and even if I did pursue it in magistrate court, the guy is living with his parents and has no possessions, so I'm not even sure if the ruling could be enforced. He was recently laid-off and just moved back here from Florida, so I don't know if there is even any record of him here.

It just so happens that the person's name that actually appears on the title is a professor at my university... odd coincidence, I know. I contacted her in hopes of getting some kind of help and she quite possibly has the most abrasive personality I've ever encountered. She straight up refused to cooperate because she said it would be unethical to obtain a duplicate title and transfer it to me because she didn't sell the car to me. She then demanded that I tell her where I got her phone number and that I needed to destroy it after our conversation.

In short, it looks like I'm up the creek without a paddle. I think I'll just cut my losses and sell the car for whatever I can get.
          Last edited by X6StringerX; 11-25-2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Well maybe one of our members up there knows a way to make it work that shouldnt be discussed in a public forum. If you know what I mean. :wink:

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

LOL! As much as that would probably make things easier, I'd rather not take the chance of digging my hole any deeper.

I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Comment

WOW that stinks man! I don't understand people who go thru life being so crabby to everyone. I hope you can get it straightened out. What about getting a title and vin tags from tonycash? might be s little shady but...
                Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

^^ First Rule of Fight Club^^

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

oops! just kidding. I know people would never even think of doing that!

Comment

I'm sure hundreds of people do that every day of the week and don't think twice about it, but I'm just not that guy. I don't have anything against those people because I'm sure many of them are in the same boat as I am. Things could be made a whole lot easier if the DMV was just given the authority to make judgement calls on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: I mean, are you crazy? People don't do that sort of thing in real life.
                      Last edited by X6StringerX; 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Government making choices that make sense? HA good luck there!

Comment

Can you file for an endemnity bond? This is basically saying that there is no title to the car when you got it, so you are applying for a replacement title. Then if a previous owner steps forward and says, "...this is my car!" Instead of losing the car, the bond pays them off for the value of the car.

I'm not sure if that is applicable in your state. But I'd defnitely check on it!

If not, see if the DMV there has a replacement form for titles. Then take that form, completely filled out, to the lady who's a hephor and tell her you want her to sign this form.
                          She file for a replacement title and sign it over to you at the same time.

If she sees that the title was never transfered out of her name, she may end up cooperating with you.

If you are already there, she probably won't fight with you in person as much as she can when she cowarded behind the phone.

If that don't work... keep bugging her!

In the meantime, check the local court system and see about taking the guy to court who sold you the car. You might be actually able to get the cost of the indemnity bond out of him for your trouble.

Whatever you do, DON"T GIVE UP! It sounds like it's a nice car... one worth fighting for!
                          Last edited by Britstiva; 11-25-2009, 11:50 PM.
                          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                          Snoopy's
                          4621 Atlantic Ave
                          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

You can make. Some repairs, and then file a mechanics lein, provided your state has those kinds of laws in to protect mechanics.
                            Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                            88? Parts car-sold
                            91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                            86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                            1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

^^exactly or look up ITS...International Title Service....They will send you a tag and title. Just google it.
                              -Greg
                              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09
                              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                              X