Tie rod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie rod question

I know that bad things can happen if your lower control arm ball joint pops out. My question is, is there also a possibility of catastrophic failure with the tie rod ends? Can they ever pop out if the rubber boot is shot and they get too worn? Or are there other symptoms you can diagnose from the driver's seat, like rattling or vibrating?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

well they can definitely pop out.....have had it happen. But if you are paying attention you will definitely have signs leading up to the pop pop popping....lol
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
      well they can definitely pop out.....have had it happen. But if you are paying attention you will definitely have signs leading up to the pop pop popping....lol
      So if they pop out, you do lose steering ability for that wheel; can you safely bring the car to a stop? And what are the signs it's getting ready to fail?
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

steering is questionable.....vibrating....wheel wobble....loose and wandering steering
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks. I like the way we are cycling back and forth between these two threads!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

lol...yup....but I am using a tricycle
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

^^ Someone needs to get a picture of that.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

If they pop out the wheel they pop off of will often turn out and make driving it impossible.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Working...
                X