#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

In a nutshell:

ECU= engine control unit (strictly engine)
    PCM= power train control module (also controls trans and other functions, etc. depending on the car and model, mostly newer ones).

Festiva does not have a PCM, just an ECU
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
      In a nutshell:

ECU= engine control unit (strictly engine)
      PCM= power train control module (also controls trans and other functions, etc. depending on the car and model, mostly newer ones).

Festiva does not have a PCM, just an ECU
      I'm talking about that Aspire from the other thread you responded to. I've been fiddling around with it, checking the connections, like you said. In doing so, I jumped a connection and the fan turned on. While reading the wiring diagram, I see that the pcm influences the opening/closing of the circuit that turns the fan on. After all tests conclude that everything is fine, then the pcm is to blame, per the Haynes manual. If so, then I have a spare car with a spare pcm that is just dying to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is located, the pcm that is......I know where the car is located...LOL!!.
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Are you sure?

Actually it probably isnt hard to find , just have to remember which pile of snow its under! :razz:
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
          I'm talking about that Aspire from the other thread you responded to. I've been fiddling around with it, checking the connections, like you said. In doing so, I jumped a connection and the fan turned on. While reading the wiring diagram, I see that the pcm influences the opening/closing of the circuit that turns the fan on. After all tests conclude that everything is fine, then the pcm is to blame, per the Haynes manual. If so, then I have a spare car with a spare pcm that is just dying to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is located, the pcm that is......I know where the car is located...LOL!!.
          Sorry, didn't make the connection (no pun intended). According to the Haynes, the fan is controlled by a temp sensor, not a thermo-switch like a Festiva. I thought you said you unplugged the thermo-switch and the fan didn't come on..........I'm not sure it's supposed to work like that on an Aspire since it's not a switch that grounds but rather a sensor that works on resistance. Did you check the actual resistance on the coolant temp sensor? I would think if the sensor was bad you would experience other problems and the CEL would come on.

To answer your question, I believe in this case the PCM is the only computer and controls everything. According to Haynes, it's located behind the instrument panel (dash?) on the passenger's side.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

as far as i remember the aspire only has the coolant senor for the gauge. but its been awhile since i had the 1.3

Comment

Working...
            X