Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just an everyday question, nothing exotic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would like to know where you got tires for 150 i have been paying 220

Comment

If you can find some 13" rims from a Geo or some other car that fits a Festy you can get a set of Michelin Destiny's from Discount Tire for around $175 when they run the $70 off rebate special.

Or, they carry a Fisk tire which is made by Michelin for around $200 a set, non-special price. The Destiny is an 80k tire and the Fisk is a 55k tire. I run the Fisk's on my trailer and I'm very pleased with them.
      Last edited by Zanzer; 01-07-2010, 01:52 AM.
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by zanzer View Post
        +1

Timken bearings are the only ones I use. They're only a couple of dollars more and well worth the extra expense.
        I had Timkens put in mine too.

Someone had tried to disassemble the bearings without a press and had boogered up the bolts and studs too. The boots were almost completely gone, and the U-joints were clicking and clacking, worn out.

My mechanic did a good job - took the axles that the bearings run on to a welding shop, had them built back up to stock diameter with weld metal and machined back down, installed new U-joints and new Timken Bearings.

$607 total but it was a lot of work; I couldn't have done it! Little car had really been abused in the past; I was lucky to get 10,000 miles before I had to do any work to it.

Now that the front axles are sorted and quiet, I can hear the REAR bearings making noise. What's that going to be about?

Lannis

Comment

Originally posted by csgammon View Post
          i would like to know where you got tires for 150 i have been paying 220
          These were some sort of Chinese-brand tire, but were available for the 12" wheels overnight at $42 each, shipped, so really $168 for the four of them.

Lannis

Comment

Rear bearings don't last real long on these things either... but their easy, and cheap, to do yourself, unlike the fronts.
            Just remove the drum, pull out the old bearings, grease up the new ones and put them together. No spacers to wory about in the rear, but be careful the drivers side spindle in the back is reverse threaded and they are getting hard to find!!
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
            X