Speedometer disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer disassembly

since i have a new cluster with a broken plug guide and one with a busted glass i figured i would make 1 decent one. i am surprised to find the little differances in the clusters. one of them doesnt have a check engine light, just an empty light contact where the other one does and little differances in the plastics, writing, and the illumination bar.

well besides that, i got a few questions. is there an easy way to take the glass of the black plastic piece? how do you roll back the odometer? i know its an illegal subject but the cars at 150-something and the one im using is at 173. should i save the bulbs off the crappy one and would anybody want it after im done?

i took i picture so i wouldnt forget the screw pattern

this is where im at now

it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

help me out! i need advice.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Are both clusters orange faced? I know the white and orange ones are different.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

theyre both orange. thats why i was surprised

Comment

Its easy to roll it back. Just take it apart... you'll figure it out. You can take off this retainer thing and rearrange the rollers.
          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
          RIP 90LX

Comment

Be careful when you pry out the little rod that the number rollers are on. The plastic piece that the rod snaps into can be brittle and break easily. I broke one once and had to Epoxy it back together.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

The orange faced clusters can be set to correct the mileage by removing a screw, pulling out a small gear, a circlip, rotating the drum to the correct mileage, then reversing procedure. Because I have changed all my L's to LX's, with the Tach clusters, I have always corrected the mileage on the odometer.
              The White face clusters are made tamper proof. You dont have the screw hold down like the early ones. They are sealed and would require you to melt the barrel holding fixture enough to release it to set the mileage to correction. As I understand it, this has been done successfully, but it would be more difficult.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

I rolled my white-faced cluster back, without any serious surgery. Just a lot of patience, and a delicate touch. I did mine on the kitchen table. Good luck!

Cheers,

Scott
                Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Working...
                X