Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only have valet keys, possible to get master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only have valet keys, possible to get master?

My Festiva that I bought a couple weeks ago seems to have only come with the valet key... and 2 copies of said valet key. I only found this out a couple days ago when I went to unlock the passenger side door for a friend, only it wouldn't turn. Only the driver side door and starter can be worked, the hatch can't be opened either but luckily it was already unlocked. I read that a key smith can make a master but how is this possible and has this happened to anyone else so they could give an idea of how much it would cost?

Not very cool of the used auto dealership not letting me in on the secret, they had to know they only had valet keys.:violent2:

the other locks probably are from a different car and have a different key or they a frozen. I don't think our cars came with a valet key.

I just thought of something what good would a valet key be for a hatchback? lol.
    Last edited by big_ty2003; 12-28-2009, 03:48 PM.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

I didn't know that Festivas had Valet keys! Maybe they are just bad copies that happen to work on the driver's door and ignition because the pins are worn down more than the other locks?
      Oscar

Comment

^^^ I agree!!! The passenger side lock has the key code stamped on the back of it also.
        It is the only one that is marked. A locksmith can use the code to make a key to check it with.

HTH
        Michael
        Have owned 9 so far
        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

It is possible the other locks are froze from lack of being used. Try squirting some PB blaster in the other 2 locks let sit for 10 min and try working the locks, you may need to do this a second time.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
            It is possible the other locks are froze from lack of being used. Try squirting some PB blaster in the other 2 locks let sit for 10 min and try working the locks, you may need to do this a second time.
            Agreed, I've had to do that to a few of my festivas when I first got them.
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

With my key (not original) the key will only work if I put it in a certain way. Did you try flipping the key and trying it that way? That's probably not the problem but it's worth a shot!
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I had to have a key made for my car when I got it....didn't have one at all. Like posted above, the passenger side lock is the one that has the code on it. Pull it and take it to a locksmith if you wanna have a new key made. I believe it cost me about $20 for my key
                "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
                  ^^^ I agree!!! The passenger side lock has the key code stamped on the back of it also.
                  It is the only one that is marked. A locksmith can use the code to make a key to check it with.

HTH
                  Michael
                  I'm sure you guys are right because come to think of it I didn't have a valet key with my first Festiva. So you say the passenger side is marked, another member says "pull it", are you suggesting I pull the lock out? How would I do that? One of my friends suggested taking the VIN to Ford and maybe they could make me a key, does that sound right? I'll try spraying the locks first, but I was turning the key to the point I didn't want to snap the key or bend it. Thanks for your help!

BTW... what's PB? haha

Comment

PB Blaster....great stuff for freeing up just about anything.

Yes pull it...take off the inside door panel and you will see the lock....not sure if it is a nut or not holding it in place but you will be able to tell.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      PB Blaster....great stuff for freeing up just about anything.

Yes pull it...take off the inside door panel and you will see the lock....not sure if it is a nut or not holding it in place but you will be able to tell.
                      It's just a clip holding the lock to the door; plus the rod going from the lock to the rest of the mechanism. Easy.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                      X