Now, that's service!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, that's service!

Just got my entire brake system redone at Midas. Was gonna do it myself, but the weather turned bad, so I took it to Midas. My rear brakes had faded out to nothing and could barely stop. Well the guy tested master cylinder and said it checked ok, but rear wheel cylinders were leaking a little. Rear shoes were good.I needed brakes that work, so I said go ahead. Replaced rear wheel cylinders, replaced Dot 3 fluid with Dot 4. $200. Couple days later rear brakes have faded out again to nothing. Take it back to Midas, retest MC, this time the pedal wont pump up. It is the MC.
    The guy who runs this store, knows I just spent $200 and still no brakes.
    He offers me to go buy a MC at a McParts store and he will put it on for free!
    So I took him up on it.
    Not bad, cause now the whole brake system is practically new and I spent total of $250. The car has never stopped so well as it does now.
    I don't think that was to bad a deal. What about you guys? What would you have done in this circumstance?
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Well, you got the deal you wanted, right? Sounds like a winner! Congrats!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
    In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

would have told him I will go pick it up and he could reimburse me since the work they did was wrong and they misdiagnosed my car.....or I may have done what you did.....lol.
      Probably would have tried what I said first though.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I would say you got a good deal. Free labor doesn't happen very often around here. I have had people complain to have to do a "free" estimate, or a "free" battery check, or a "free" CEL read! I'm glad you got all taken care of!
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I thought about complaining about the misdiagnosis, and maybe coulda knocked off some $$$. I thought it was good that he offered the free work as most places wont do that. Plus side is all components are in top shape now. Besides,the wheel cylinders were leaking.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

blleehhhh....leaking smeaking.....lol, complain first....nicely of course, never know what else may have been agreed too. But all in all...you got a decent deal. Was the right thing for the guy to do since they messed up to begin with.
            But you are right....not many other places would have cared.
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

with the wheel cylinders leaking, the master would never see full pressure to start with. add to that, you just flushed your whole system and removed all of the dirt and crap that was keeping the seals in the master sealed.

the result is not a misdiagnosis, but an unforseen failure do to proper maintenance. had the fluid been changed on a regular basis, the master would have either failed long before this due to natural wear, OR it would have left the shop with a clean bill of health and no work needed (the wheel cylinders leaking should have given you the clue that the system was dirty and not maintained)
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yea, it was at a crazy time too. Helping my gal move, was right before Christmas Day. I must have been in a charitable mood, cause when this kinda thing happens, usually they HEAR ABOUT IT, right then! Been known to get downright ugly!(see my post about NTB!)
                Last edited by drddan; 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  with the wheel cylinders leaking, the master would never see full pressure to start with. add to that, you just flushed your whole system and removed all of the dirt and crap that was keeping the seals in the master sealed.

the result is not a misdiagnosis, but an unforseen failure do to proper maintenance. had the fluid been changed on a regular basis, the master would have either failed long before this due to natural wear, OR it would have left the shop with a clean bill of health and no work needed (the wheel cylinders leaking should have given you the clue that the system was dirty and not maintained)
                  blah blah blah blah......complain and take whatever is given.....lol
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!

Comment

so says you... but you know i'm right!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

so says you... but you know i'm right!
                      all I hear is the teacher from Charlie Brown...... waa waaa waa waa waaaaaa!!

:p
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        all I hear is the teacher from Charlie Brown...... waa waaa waa waa waaaaaa!!

:p
                        I'm just gonna sit back and watch you guys have at it ! hahhaa!
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

OOHHH no!, you better put Willie on the short leash before he bites off more than he can chew...

not that i'm serious.... but i'm still right!!!!!!!! :shock:
                          Last edited by FestYboy; 12-28-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

OOHHH no!, you better put Willie on the short leash before he bites off more than he can chew...

not that i'm serious.... but i'm still right!!!!!!!! :shock:
                            listen here mister....you go outside right now and you get a switch....a willow switch....and you better make sure it is not to small or you will get it double, hahahaha. Arty.....I am a free roamer....no leashes for this doggy....lol
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Sounds like you got it corrected. That is good. I will say that if your wheel cylinders were leaking there is no way your brake shoes are "OK". They may have thickness to them, but they also likely have brake fluid on them. If so, they are done. Any good brake mechanic would know that and would never have put those parts back into service. Fluid soaked shoes will be grabby when cold and may even seem fine in normal braking. Under hard braking however, the fluid in the surface of the pad will heat up and form a film between the shoe and the drum. In a panic stop or a down hill situation when you need them most this could cause reduced brake efficiency, increased stopping distance and possible failure. An accident caused by increased stopping distance IS failure IMO. It may be fine 90% of the time, but why take a chance. New shoes are about $15. Sorry for the rant. I have done a lot of brakes and I don't like to take chances. I went to Midas once. Had my problem corrected too. I will NEVER go back.
                              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X