1.3 carb verses 1.3 injection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.3 carb verses 1.3 injection!

first i bought a Kia Pride 1.3 LX 1993 (with carb). then a few weeks later i bought another one. this was a 1996 Kia Pride 1.3 LX (injection).

on the same stretch of road the older car is quicker than the newer one. the Pride with the carb is as quick as my 1.4 VW Polo and this also has some mods on it.

is this normal that the car with the carb would be quicker?
    KIA Pride 1996 1.3i LX 5dr 5speed.

Welcome Pazz!

It could be that your newer LX is heavier than your older one. It is not uncommon for cars to get heavier as the years go on as more equipment like safety and smog features are added. I'm not sure what would be added in the U.K. though.

It's also possible your FI is not running as efficiently as your carb, or there may be some other changes you aren't aware of. Possible changes could be in the gearing or final drive ratios. Other changes could be in tyre sizing (which you should know about).

Weight, gearing, efficiency of the systems, tires and tire pressure could all be at work here. You might look up the horsepower figures for your cars too. I know the U.K. 1.3L carbed version of the Mazda 121 got 65 hp, which is rated two more than the U.S. FI cars.

Finally, there is potential for your perceptions to be "off." Have you repeatedly and carefully measured the performance you speak of? How do you know which is faster? This may bear some investigation as well.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

that's some good points Safety Guy, but both cars have the interior all stripped out and tyre size and pressures are the same. tests run on same day, so same weather conditions. in saying that the difference is not a large gap, just a a couple of yards. maybe the engine and injectors just needs a good clean out.

thanks.

Comment

Yep. I just pulled my B6 injectors and they look DIRTY!

More work, more work, MORE WORK!

(Just complaining about my swap I'm doing.)

Get that fuel system cleaned out and maybe you'll get some speed back.

What do you mean by "SPL?"

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sound Pressure Level.

I compete in dBDrag events. I have started to wall the car with 3 15's.

Comment

Working...
          X