what determines rev limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what determines rev limiter

What determines where the rev limiter is on our cars? Is it the ECU? I didn't even know that our cars had a rev limiter until a while back when I was going through the gears and hit 6200 in second and I thought i had blown my motor. I let off the gas and was relieved to find that all was still good. I have the b6me and ecu out of a 92 mx3 and I believe the redline is 6000 on this motor. So if in the future I decided to go with a b6de with a redline of 7200 would I also need to change the ecu. I thought b6 ecu's were the same. Also don't the 94-95 mx3 1.6 dohc have mafs instead of vafs? The reason I am considering this engine is because from what I read it has about 15 to 20 more hp than the ME and actually gets better mpgs. I love the bp but I think I read a post from Eurotiva that said if he drives lika a little old lady he gets about 30. Is this because he is boosted or would that not matter if you kept your right foot under control? I realize that he has the b8me not the bp. Which of these two engines would be an easier swap? Since I have the Me from the mx3 I already had to beat in my firewall about 2 inches. I think you have to fab motor mounts for both right? Sorry for all the questions but I like to research as much as I can before deciding. I know you guys have done all these things and can answer them. I found the answers to some questions using the search feature but not these. Thanks
    Rick
    1990 Festiva L
    Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Posting question here due to time...

My buddy is visiting, he has an 89 festiva (carbed) and it started out of the blue blowing the "engine fuse" (underdash block) instantly upon turning the key. The car will still run, but can no longer idle. I'm crawling around in the snow trying to find a dead short, so far nothing obvious. It literally blows the fuse the instant you turn the key to the assess. position.

Does anyone have an idea what to look for?

Thanks,
    FX
    Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by manxbuggy1 View Post
      What determines where the rev limiter is on our cars? Is it the ECU? I didn't even know that our cars had a rev limiter until a while back when I was going through the gears and hit 6200 in second and I thought i had blown my motor. I let off the gas and was relieved to find that all was still good. I have the b6me and ecu out of a 92 mx3 and I believe the redline is 6000 on this motor. So if in the future I decided to go with a b6de with a redline of 7200 would I also need to change the ecu. I thought b6 ecu's were the same. Also don't the 94-95 mx3 1.6 dohc have mafs instead of vafs? The reason I am considering this engine is because from what I read it has about 15 to 20 more hp than the ME and actually gets better mpgs. I love the bp but I think I read a post from Eurotiva that said if he drives lika a little old lady he gets about 30. Is this because he is boosted or would that not matter if you kept your right foot under control? I realize that he has the b8me not the bp. Which of these two engines would be an easier swap? Since I have the Me from the mx3 I already had to beat in my firewall about 2 inches. I think you have to fab motor mounts for both right? Sorry for all the questions but I like to research as much as I can before deciding. I know you guys have done all these things and can answer them. I found the answers to some questions using the search feature but not these. Thanks
      Rick
      1. yes the ecu has the limiter. Its there to prevent the motor from over spinning.
      2. so you have the b6 sohc? yes the ecu will need to be changed.
      3. the 95 might as its a OBDII car
      4. Better MPG is relative, to many factors like vehicle weight & driving practices. Driving like a grand ma really helps boost those mpg. I can barley get 30mpg, while my wife gets 37 in the same car all the time.
      5. Easier how? Mechanically ease of finding, performance? Are you swapping out the trans for the g-series @ the same time too?. You need the pass side mount for most any swap, & the 2 you are talking about actually mount to the trans.
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

IIRC OBDII didn't start until 1996.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ yup you right.
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

The ecu limits rpm w/ ignition cut. If you install a MSD box then the rev limit will be determined by what chip you have in it. My bp ecu has a 7200 (i think) limit, but my box has a 7k chip, so it stops at that. if i take the chip out i have no rev limit at all. not a good idea since 1st gear is so explosive with boost, especially with the g5 1st and final gear ratios. A n/a car will always get better mpg over a boosted car since the turbine is an exhaust restriction and decreases volumetric efficiency.

Comment

My carbed KIA Pride seems to have no limiter.

I've seen over 7,000 RPM sometimes.

I expect it clears the cobwebs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathtub Tom View Post
                My carbed KIA Pride seems to have no limiter.

I've seen over 7,000 RPM sometimes.

I expect it clears the cobwebs.
                A B3 (I assume it's a B3) will rev to 7,000 +RPM?!? :shock:
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I can in my carby car. Valve start to float @ 7K though

Comment

Working...
                  X