Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time poster, long time reader! Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time poster, long time reader! Help needed!

OK so like I said in the title this is my first post but I have read, searched and researched alot of topics trying to figure out a few questions.

1. I bought a set of rims (yes a wheel question sorry ) and I need to know if it will fit and what type of tires I should get. They are a set of 13X5.5 4X4, 4.25 Cragar SS rims (AWESOME!) for the rear. I have read many posts but have yet to see someone post about standard sizes instead of metric.

2. My rear defroster does not work. I have read many people say check the fuses and the wires that it plugs into, but both of those are good on my car. The light comes on in the dash like it is working but I still have ice on my rear window. On a side note when I purchased the car there was NOT a fuse in the rear defrost spot so I assume the previous owner knew about it.

3.Does anyone have a spare heater/radio bezel that would be willing to sell? I was kinda planning on going to the Ozark meet here in MO in April if it is someone that lives a little far away we could just meet up there.

4. I am really excited that this website exsists! It has helped me out like crazy getting this car to fully functional. I appreciate all the help that I can get on this little beast

Thanks in advance!
    Wrongfulleaf
    :festiva::newb::festiva:

You got 2 wheels for the rear only? What is the 4x4? I would get tires that have the same overall diameter all around.

For your rear defroster, do you get 12v at the defroster + plug? Is the ground properly connected? Sometimes they get enough corrosion that the circuit doesn't close.
    Oscar

Comment

Hello and welcome!

In regard to your wheel question, I just multiplied 4.25" by 2.54 cm and came up with 107.9, or 108 for short. Since a stock Festiva is 114.3 X 4, I doubt those wheels will work.

As for your RWD, closely look at all the lines on the window to see if there is a break. If so, I've heard using a metallic model paint may help restore the circuit. If not, perhaps a car store would have a fix kit.

Good luck!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
        You got 2 wheels for the rear only? What is the 4x4? I would get tires that have the same overall diameter all around.

For your rear defroster, do you get 12v at the defroster + plug? Is the ground properly connected? Sometimes they get enough corrosion that the circuit doesn't close.
        Yes I got 2 rims for the rear only (I would have bought 4 if availble). I bought them because I just got the car and they were to cheap to pass up ($30 for the set!). I assume that the 4X4 is because they are standard not metric. At least that is what I think.? I think that it is kinda like saying 4X4 inches compared to 4X100mm. I do not have a volt meter but I will pick one up and give that a shot. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Hello and welcome!

In regard to your wheel question, I just multiplied 4.25" by 2.54 cm and came up with 107.9, or 108 for short. Since a stock Festiva is 114.3 X 4, I doubt those wheels will work.

As for your RWD, closely look at all the lines on the window to see if there is a break. If so, I've heard using a metallic model paint may help restore the circuit. If not, perhaps a car store would have a fix kit.

Good luck!

Karl
          I guess I will just have to try them on once it warms up a little (It's -2 out now lol). I will also look tomorrow after work to see if there is a break. Thanks again for the help! And if anyone else has any idea I am much obliged!

Comment

My take on the wheels is this, 4 studs X 4" bolt pattern. They won't fit. Festiva is 4X4.5", but they will fit an Aspire.
            Use an ohm meter to check your RWD. It will tell you if there's a short.
            Last edited by hotfordcat; 01-03-2010, 09:16 PM.
            Chuck
            Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
            If money will fix it, it's not broken
            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
            93 GL - Lil Red
            91 L - Tweetystiva
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Your 'stiva's bolt pattern is a little more than 5mm wider than your cragers. That is one problem. The second potential problem is the hub. If the center bore of the wheel does not match the hub on the car you will need hub centric rings if its not a lug centric wheel. I had to machine a set of rings for myself when i put on the 15's because the lugs did not properly center the wheel. And i just realized that if the wheel is made for a 4x4 application it will have little backspacing and the wheel will stick way out. Too bad, the crager ss is an awesome wheel and i would put a set on my car in a heartbeat if i came across a set. Welcome to the site! you found #1 forum for our cars.

Comment

The other problem you might have is the Cragar SS is a rear wheel drive wheel, and it probably won't sit right on a front wheel drive car. The offset will be wrong.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

I say jack up the Stiva, pull a wheel, and test fit the Cragers. I think you're going to find the bolt pattern will be to close together. But if the center bore works out, and the off set isn't too outrageous, hang on to them and think about an Aspire swap. Or, resell them and find some wheels that fit.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                    The other problem you might have is the Cragar SS is a rear wheel drive wheel, and it probably won't sit right on a front wheel drive car. The offset will be wrong.
                    That is kinda what I figured but I was hoping it would work on just the rear if possible. I have read a few forums about the aspire swaps. Is it possible to swap out the rear axle without doing the full swap? It would be amazing if I could get the rims to work! If nothing else I could always sell them on ebay for a little more than i paid . I guess I will have to start reading on other inter changable wheels. Chrome of course

Comment

Glad to see you got your posting problem taken care off. Welcome to the site. Glad to have another homie on the board.
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

if you can make out on selling them i would sell them and put the money towards a set of matching wheels, unless you can find a pair for the front. personally I'd want a matching set of wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                          if you can make out on selling them i would sell them and put the money towards a set of matching wheels, unless you can find a pair for the front. personally I'd want a matching set of wheels.
                          I will try bolting them on first before I sell them but I will more than likely do it. I am not a big gear head but I know my way around cars so I don't really want to swap out the axle to get them to fit (it would be fun tho but it is my daily driver right now). I was going to go with the drag look so matching rims really doesn't matter to me. I was going to put them on the back and try and find a set of moons for the front or just keep stock so that it stands up in the back. O and thanks freshtiva, hit me up if you wanna have a meet. That goes for anybody in the KC area or northern MO.
                          Last edited by wrongfulleaf; 01-03-2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

You want moon disc?
                            Racing disc hubcaps - 12" pop-on wheel covers. Stainless steel caps with highest quality all metal clipping ring, clips. Racing disk wheel cover clamps securely wheel!
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                              Yea that is kinda what I was looking for. I wasn't really going for the all out 50's pick ones but just a solid rim. I was going to have cragars on the back and try to find something like this for the front...

except Cragar SS's in the back of course
                              Last edited by wrongfulleaf; 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X