Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably bearings but maybe something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably bearings but maybe something else?

I've been having to go into work really early, like 5am, this week and every morning the rear passenger wheel sounds horrible, kind of like a grinding whine, but not too loud. On Monday there was a popping sound almost like popcorn, if popcorn was metal, I figured it was a bearing blowing out but it's odd that the noise the wheel makes goes away except for a constant sort of hum. Also odd is that there's no grinding when I leave work at 7pm, only in the morning, could it be because it's so cold in the mornings right now?

Anyways, I was hoping someone could list what bearings they get, good ones that will last a good amount of time, is there anything else that should be changed when changing the bearings to make them last longer? Also if anyone has any other suggestions for what the sounds could be or other things that might need replaced. I've had a wheel fly off my last Festiva so any info on things I could do to keep the wheels on this one would be greatly appreciated. I do want to keep my Festiva stock though and don't want to do the Aspire swap.

One last thing, about how long do you think I could get away driving the car with what I believe is a blown bearing? I probably won't be able to get it fixed until this coming Monday or at the latest the Monday after. I commute about 150 miles a week. Many thanks!

Get Timken bearings, installed correctly you wil have miles of trouble free driving. Don't wait till it fails completely you might ruin the spindle.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

^^ +1. Get Timkens, and if at all possible, don't drive the car until the bearings are changed. Anyone who was at Madness 3 care to tell him what happens when you push bad bearings too long?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
      X