X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this site and Festivas

Hello, I'm Austin from Libby, MT, USA.
    I am new to this site and to Festivas.
    I couldn't find an introduction forum so I'll post here...
    (If there is one, a mod can move this thread)

A family friend gave us a 93 Ford Festiva as a second more economical car.
    My daily driver (for now anyway) is a 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 5.2L Magnum V8 and an astonishing 10-19MPG

Anyway, my festy is not in good cosmetic condition with lots of body rust (damn road salt) and broken lights. I will be fixing what I can but have no idea how to remove rust and restore missing metal.

Pictures are here:

Here is a video of the engine:

What do ya'll think?
    It seems to run ok, but the exhaust sounds like it has issues and steam comes out of everywhere when its warming up.

And what is this for?

Random air chamber...?
    Anyway, I look forward to the information contained within the thread and head of members
    Last edited by Oren09; 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Welcome to FF.com the number 1 site for Festivas. I am sure we can help you with any questions you might have.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Howdy, Austin! You did it right.....a name, a location and PICS!! Welcome aboard!
      1989 Red L- The Baron
      www.letstalkbeatles.com
      Link to Baron Pics:
      http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
      1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Welcome aboard Austin! Youll enjoy your Festiva immensely. And remember, its probably been asked before sooo...
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

that hatch looks like it has seen better days but its still a festiva it will just keep on going and going lol...

welcome to ff.com

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Yes, I've noticed it keeps going..
            Its at 177K with no real mechanical issues.

@monsoon I've been doing a lot of searching while waiting for my account to be activated. Also I'm a member on dodgeforum.com for my truck, and they'll jump all over you for not searching for a common topic
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
              Yes, I've noticed it keeps going..
              Its at 177K with no real mechanical issues.

@monsoon I've been doing a lot of searching while waiting for my account to be activated. Also I'm a member on dodgeforum.com for my truck, and they'll jump all over you for not searching for a common topic

Oren - Welcome ! How far from Billings ? I am 3 hours south of there, in Wyoming. I also have a Dodge, 1999, but mostly stays in garage unless bad winter weather !! :laughing8:

I also have a '64 Power wagon. Also Farmall tractors, old collectors, but still use lots

We have an '88 Festiva with over 214,000 miles, running great, looking great, still a daily
              driver ....this Festiva site is just great !!

mjd

Comment

Welcome Austin! Good intro.

Two of the more common safety-related fails associated with the Festy: rear bearings and lower control arms. Both are easy maintenance items, and should be evaluated at once. If you know vehicles, you know what other things to look for generally. Of course brakes and tires fall under safety-related items too, for any car.

Beyond that, go over the whole car, looking for things that will leave you stuck by the side of the road: timing and alternator belts, and hoses come to mind.

Then it's on to tune-up parts, and things like valve cover gaskets, the most common oil leak. Flush the oil and coolant if needed.

Again welcome. Hopefully there will be some forum members near you for help, moral support, mini-meets, etc. This is a very good bunch here.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

@MJD quite a ways from Billings. Other side of the state. Can I have your Power Wagon?
                  It would make a good mudder

The festy has been taken care of mechanically. It hasn't been sitting very long either.
                  The tires are almost new. The oil is clean, the coolant appears good.

I'd jack it up and crawl all around under it, but my driveway is an ice hocky rink at the moment. I think I'll still lift it and peek around tomorrow, though.
                  How can I tell if the control arms are bad?
                  I checked the spark plugs today and they're relatively new. The wires look the same, so I'm holding off on the tune up.
                  I'm guessing the valve cover gasket is bad as the engine is covered in sludge. I pressure washed it today and didn't do any good, so I don't know if I'll notice fresh oil leaking.
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                    How can I tell if the control arms are bad?
                    when you jack it up...grab the wheel from the top and bottom and try moving in and out, you may be able to have your head in the wheel well while someone does that....look for play where the LCA (lower control arm) connects to the hub.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      when you jack it up...grab the wheel from the top and bottom and try moving in and out, you may be able to have your head in the wheel well while someone does that....look for play where the LCA (lower control arm) connects to the hub.
                      Alrighty. You gave me something to do tomorrow.
                      ~Austin
                      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        Yeah, if they're bad the boots (where it connects to the hub) will be broken or even missing, and there will be a lot of play in them. If the ball part of the ball joint is able to come outor can be rattled around, you will soon have a catastrophic fail on your hands, so change it. Half-hour job, or less.

Get a Haynes manual at a local McParts store too BTW.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

plus....if you do need to change it....get a can of PB blaster and start spraying the bolt that holds the LCA to the frame.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Uh oh.. I will definitely check that tomorrow.

@tominmo I have Alldata, but I might end up getting a Haynes manual as Alldata seems to think this car doesn't have an air filter...
                            ~Austin
                            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

[QUOTE=

It seems to run ok, but the exhaust sounds like it has issues and steam comes out of everywhere when its warming up.
                              QUOTE]

First off, Welcome.
                              Yea, the exhaust does sound a little loud. Could just be the gasket from the manifold to the pipe. Steam? Are you sure it's steam and not smoke? The valve cover gasket is known to leak and if the oil gets onto the hot exhaust manifold it will definately smoke. Might want to check what it may be for sure. Not doubting your observation but if the coolant looks good I'd degrease the engine with brake clean, let it dry, and try it again to see if any oil leaks from the valve cover gasket. Just my 2¢.

Comment

Working...
                              X