Too many Festivas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many Festivas!

I have the opportunity to buy 2 Festivas in excellent cosmetic condition for a very cheap price. Unfortunately, I only want one (I have to take them both or no deal...) and don't know which one to pick and what to do with the extra Festiva - I don't want to send it to the wreckers!!!

Here's my options:

Blue '89L with 5 speed tranny, rear defrost, immaculate body and interior, 204k on the clock. Has blown head gasket. May have other engine problems - the head blew the day the owner bought the car...

Red '88L with 4 speed tranny, rear defrost, excellent interior & body aside from some rust on the end of the hood and a crappy tint job, 106k on the clock. Has 13s w/ brand new tires. Clutch needs adjusting, engine is f#@ked up. This one is the owner's favourite.

Obviously these need some serious engine work, which is OK, since I'm dropping either a B6 or B6T in the car I'm keeping.

Which one should I pick? I'm thinking the blue one plus the wheels from the red. Or maybe the red one w/ the 5 speed from the blue????

Does anyone in the Houston area want a Festiva with a good body but blown engine for cheap??

Might even take the best of the 2 engines and make 1 good engine and have a running car....

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Take both, part out the other one, recover some of the money you spent. By the way is there any such thing as too many?
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Tim, After you get both of them, you will be able to decide which one is a keeper! And of course there is nothing wrong with merging all the good stuff onto your "KEEPER"!

It was very hard for me to let go of 2 of my 4 Festiva's, but I made sure they went to good homes and not the crusher! :wink:
      Kevin
      '93 L (BP{T} Sold
      '90 L Plus Sold
      '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
          By the way is there any such thing as too many?
          For me, no.

Unfortunately, my parents don't share my viewpoints. They have made it abundantly clear that they don't want half a dozen cars in various states of desrepair in front of their house.

So I have to let one go, sadly...

What I'm leaning towards doing is fixing the car I can't keep and selling it - possibly getting back what I paid for both cars and maybe a little profit.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Yea, back in the day my parents told me that too! But I always seemed to buy more cars anyway! At one time I had a thing for Pinto's, I had like 4-5 of them (1 V8 car) drove my parents crazy, to this day they still see no need for more than 1 car per driver. As a matter of fact I still have a Festiva and a Geo Tracker (girlfriends car) sitting in their driveway. If it were up to me I'd have a warehouse full of cars! I have 6 now, down from the 9 I had this summer.
            Brian

93 GL modyfied!!!

Comment

Gro is the same way and then again so am I he had 4 or 5 cars outside his parents house at one time and I was the owner of 3 festivas and my integra which were sitting in front of my dads 3 cars ran and one festiva was a parts car. I do see a need for more than 1 car per driver especially if you don't have enough money to keep one running correctly you just drive the second one until you have the first car fixed then start driving the first car again and fix the second that way you always have a backup.
              the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Originally posted by darpien
                I do see a need for more than 1 car per driver especially if you don't have enough money to keep one running correctly you just drive the second one until you have the first car fixed then start driving the first car again and fix the second that way you always have a backup.
                That's some good logic there!

I may be able to store my Festiva trove at my mechanic's place - he has a few dozen junk cars on his property and I doubt he'd mind a few small Festivas!

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Yeah I got too many cars at my parents house also. I have three or four cars lined up in the backyard and my daily driver. I then have two festivas at a storage lot. Tim, I bought four festivas from one guy this past summer, only one of then ran.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid
                    Yeah I got too many cars at my parents house also. I have three or four cars lined up in the backyard and my daily driver. I then have two festivas at a storage lot. Tim, I bought four festivas from one guy this past summer, only one of then ran.

So parents are often utilized for Festiva storage!

Seems like Festivas, when bought in bulk, usually don't run...
                    White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Tell the parents it will increase property value!
                      Brian

93 GL modyfied!!!

Comment

I am now the proud owner of 2 Festivas!!!

I paid $100 for both of them (that's $50/Festiva). The girl who sold them to me didn't really want to part with the red one, but her parents were more than happy to get them out of the driveway....

Doesn't look like storage will be an issue. One of my friends has a huge back yard and his dad will let me keep them there while they undergo repairs.

There is much truth to the saying "Never buy a car at night."

Today I actually got to see the cars in daylight, and they had a few more blemishes than I remembered seeing. Nothing too bad, though. I'll probably repaint the one I keep.

I got to look under the hood of the engines today.

The blue one has a spotless engine compartment - no telltale signs of a blown head gasket. However, I was told that it smoked and ran poorly. But it did pass inspection and has valid tags.

I learned that the red car threw a rod. The radiator was also empty... :roll:

What I plan to do is disregard everything I've been told about these cars and find out for myself what's wrong with them.

I've solved my extra car problem too. The girl who sold me the red Festiva is really attached to it and is probably going to buy it back when I get it running again.

I'm sure my folks will be delighted when they hear the news about my purchases. They'll probably kick me out of the house when I break the news to them.

Regards,

Tim
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Well at least you'll have somwhere to live. Set the Festiva's end to end with the talgates up and put a tent in the middle. :lol:
                          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Just picked up one of the Festivas, going back for the other tonight!

My friend's Ford Ranger could barely move with the Festiva in tow!

Regards,

Tim
                            White '89L auto - Sold!
                            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Both Festivae have arrived!

They are parked in a local apartment complex for now, in front of a friend's apartment. Hopefully the tenants won't complain. I doubt anyone would notice, since there's a bunch of junk cars there and we unloaded our haul at night...

Regards,

Tim
                              White '89L auto - Sold!
                              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                              X