temp tag issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp tag issue

I plan on going to look, and hopefully buy a festiva that's in PA Sunday. Is there anyway I can buy something from the dmv allowing me to drive the car from point a to b? I will not be able to show a signed receipt saying the car is sold though.
    96 S10 ZQ8 4.3 Auto Stock, Clarion HU, Alpine tweets, mids and sub actively x over power by kicker amps
    91 S10 350 crate engine, TCI streetfighter TH400, dropped, completly shaved, 8.8 with discs, blowthrough
    89 Buick Riv, current DD

Get a bill of sale... Even if it's not a title, it should be acceptable if you get pulled over. Make sure your insurance will cover you in it too. Driving without insurance is a big NO NO around here. Use your plates off of another vehicle if you can. This will be legal for up to 30 days (around here anyway).
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

i have read that in a few places, I am going to try to swing by the dmv tommrow and see what I can do. I hate to buy temp tags for this car and go look at it and decided not to buy it.
      96 S10 ZQ8 4.3 Auto Stock, Clarion HU, Alpine tweets, mids and sub actively x over power by kicker amps
      91 S10 350 crate engine, TCI streetfighter TH400, dropped, completly shaved, 8.8 with discs, blowthrough
      89 Buick Riv, current DD

Comment

im pretty sure you have to show bill of sale i had the same problem with my neon

Comment

thats what i am worried about
          89 Buick Riv, current DD

Comment

Just drive real fast and dont stop for anything.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I will have to take the interstate for about 30 mi, then I can go about 15 on the back roads
              89 Buick Riv, current DD

Comment

15 ? Mph ?
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

15 miles. The cars about 45-50 mi depending on the route.
                  89 Buick Riv, current DD

Comment

In Kentucky, if you're a Kentucky resident, you can get a temp tag for this purpose. Not so in some other states.

One thing to think about, if you try to wing it without a tag or one registered to another car and you break down, you could wind up getting the car towed/impounded and I don't have to tell you what that would cost to retrieve the car once you proved you owned it.

Comment

You can get a "one way" tag from the DMV. You need the vin, and proof of insurance IIRC.

Michael
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

how much are they?
                        89 Buick Riv, current DD

Comment

yea id like to know the answer to this too!!

Comment

Generally, unless you have a really crappy policy, your insurance will cover the new vehicle. I think mine's good for something like 7 to 10 days, before I have to either get the new vehicle insured, or park it. As far as a temp tag, I'm pretty sure you can get a one way/one time tag for the purposes of getting a vehicle home.

I just tend to have an insurance card, the title or bill of sale, and I borrow a tag from one of my other vehicles to get a new one home. Or, if it's a truck, I throw a 'farm use' tag on it. Never been bothered.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

When I bought my Festiva I drove it home 120 miles without plates and didn't get bothered. But I had the title with me and a bill of sale just in case.
                              '90 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X