Found a Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Probe

I'm looking around for cars for my sister for around $1K. She's interested in a hatchback, and she even wants a Festiva, but I can't find any automatics, and she refuses to learn how to drive a stick, SO, I found a 92 Probe, 136K on it. How were the Probes? I've heard not great things, and I need her to have a turnkey ride ASAP that won't break down in 2 months.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

A 92, well I would go look at it first or google ford probe forum and see what seems to be common problems. However, any car can last forever depending on how well the owner takes care of it. Heck my truck has over 150,000 miles on her and she stills drives like new. All I have done was keep up with the maintenance. Anyways go look at it and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I personally (don't hunt me down guys) would look for an 80s or early 90s model honda. They are reliable, or get a festiva.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

no dont do it!! my friend had a probe, dont remember the year but, still crap imo

Comment

My only real experience with a Probe was a turd. It was second gen, and the one you're looking at is first generation. My general understanding is the first gens were better than the second gens, and the MTX probes are better than the ATXs. By better, I mean more reliable. If it were me, I'd pass on the probe and look for something with a better track record. Just MHO, which is kind of tainted by my own experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I had a 93 probe that pretty much fell apart on me.

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
            My only real experience with a Probe was a turd. It was second gen, and the one you're looking at is first generation. My general understanding is the first gens were better than the second gens, and the MTX probes are better than the ATXs. By better, I mean more reliable. If it were me, I'd pass on the probe and look for something with a better track record. Just MHO, which is kind of tainted by my own experience. Take it for what it's worth.
            x2 I've heard bad things about Probes, never owned onw but from the sounds of it I don't think I ever will, pass on the Probe and look for an automatic Festiva, I know their out there, 2 of the 3 Festivas I've owned were automatics just look high and low for one. Good Luck.
            '90 LX

Comment

Automatic and Mazda never really worked well together.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Fun to drive. Until something breaks. Then it gets expensive in a hurry!
                The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                1988 LX ~sold~
                1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

I had a first gen (89) that was great. It was a 5 speed, got it for a great price and it got me through HS. Ended up rear ending someone that didn't know how to merge.

Bought a 95 a few years ago that was an automatic. The person that sold it to me pretty much scammed me. Had it 2 days until the transmissions blew up.

Any car will depend on how it was taken care of, regular maintenance, etc... Heck, look at brand new cars (like the Toyota recall) that have "problems"...
                  Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Probes are ok, but once they start falling apart, they fall apart fast.

At least the one my sister had, but she could trash anything.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                    X