Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting ready to go for a two week walk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting ready to go for a two week walk...

I will be leaving on Saturday for Springer Mountain, GA! As some of you may know this is the beginning of the AT. I'm going with a friend of mine who is going to do the whole thing (GA to Maine), Starting mid Feb and ending mid Aug... I think it would be pretty cool to do the whole thing, but not cool enough to devote 6 months to it

He and I did the state of Mass last summer (90 miles in 5 days), this time due to rougher terrain and probably plenty of snow were going to keep our days shorter... we were dead after pushing it 18 miles a day w/ basically no prep.

I'm going to be getting off at Bryson City, NC on Sat the 27th. Its about 135 miles from Springer Mountain, so we only have to average about 10 miles a day, but given the weather and the fact that the entire length of the trail is in the 2500-4400 feet of altitude range it won't be a real easy two weeks!

Once I get back from this trip I have to really start in earnest trying to find out what I'm doing next with my life... but after the last 4 years of school I was ready for a little 2 month vacation from life (working a 50hr week is vacation compared to school... at least with the amount of school I was doing).

Just figured I'd give my Festy family a heads up... and if anyone along the route is as crazy as I am and wants to try to meet up with us along the trail let me know I can't say for sure where we will be each day but I can give a rough estimate!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Wow Nate....sounds like fun....wish I was young again. Would do a lot of things different. You got an internet capable phone or anything? Able to keep us updated?
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If you don't make it back, I'll be skeeters keeper2 if you want. Also, what is the beginning of AT you posted above?
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

^^ Appalachian Trail. Runs from GA to Maine, I believe. I've done a few miles of it near me. One of these days I'll do the rest.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

this is a good decision bro everyone needs to do something like this (in my opinion) it helps you alot. some times ill get a hotel room just for the weekend and bring nothing but a bible and a note pad to think about my next move. i like this idea of you going on a treck. just be carfull and plan well. god bless and see you on the other side.
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Have fun, Nate, and be safe. I'm wanting to do another cross-country motorcycle ride. Won't be this year, due to work schedule. But almost definately next summer! Probably do a 4 day run this year, just to keep the sanity.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              ^^ Appalachian Trail. Runs from GA to Maine, I believe. I've done a few miles of it near me. One of these days I'll do the rest.
              yup. I did about 40 miles of back in college, over 4 days. This included daily diversions (white water rafting, etc).
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Skeeter,
                You going carry everything or do you need for some of us to make a food drop along your path at some point?
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The only way I would do that is if I could drive my Festiva down the trail, I'm to lazy to walk, Good Luck, and have a safe trek.
                  '90 LX

Comment

Nate -- will be going with you in spirit! I've always wanted to hike the AT, just never got around to it. Be prepared. There can be some very nasty weather this early in the year. Take photos!
                    Pat

:fred:1993 5 spd "Big Red" - Daily Driver
                    1994 Honda Del Sol DOHC VTEC
                    2004 Mazda 3
                    -----------
                    5 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in shelters. Have your pets spayed or neutered.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I did several hikes in the 10 -12 mile range last year. Never strung them together on back to back days, but I had a blast. Have a great time, Nate!!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Good luck Nate , be safe and have fun , take lots of cool pics .
                        Sounds like a lot of FUN !!
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Good luck Nate! I hate walking to the mail box!LOL!!!
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                            Have fun, Nate, and be safe. I'm wanting to do another cross-country motorcycle ride. Won't be this year, due to work schedule. But almost definately next summer! Probably do a 4 day run this year, just to keep the sanity.
                            Where can I meet up?
                            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I'm in for a cross-country bike ride! My bike is all torn down at the moment... re-jetting, pod filter (makes removing carbs a lot easier), new rear shock, new fork springs, new sprockets+chain, swingarm removed for cleaning/re-greasing of the needle bearings, throttle mod, etc. My goal is to ride to the redwoods at some point. Maybe not all the way from VA to there... but then again, who knows.

John, were carrying a weeks worth of supplies and will re-supply at any small towns we go through. Total beginning pack weight is around 40lbs... or 35% of my body weight

I don't have an internet capable phone, I have a small pay-as-you go phone for emergencies but thats it... I'll update with pics/stories after I'm back!
                              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X