rear wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel bearings

Just checking: Had both of the rear wheel bearings replaced today. The roaring sound is gone and I am happy with the job. I had the local Ford dealership garage do it because they could get it in on short notice and I have no desire to attempt a job like this myself. The total charge was $215. Did I pay too much?
    Vinny2
    Northeast Iowa
    1989 Festiva LX FI

about 2hrs labor and $50 or so in parts? no, sounds about right.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

For a dealership I would say thats amazing.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Glad you got it taken care of.
        In my case the bleeding from my ears stopped a little while later.

But, I'm sure with a little direction you can perform this job yourself and save yourself a chunk of change.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          For a dealership I would say thats amazing.
          I wouldn't

usually, after the independent or chain store screws it up royally, it gets sent down to the dealer to get fixed properly. the dealer tech has to undo the damage done by previous 'tech', then make the proper repair. That's usually where the extra cost comes in.
          I know, I've had to fix countless cars and trucks that were driven into other shops, then towed to my dealer service dept., after they fouled it up!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
            I wouldn't

usually, after the independent or chain store screws it up royally, it gets sent down to the dealer to get fixed properly. the dealer tech has to undo the damage done by previous 'tech', then make the proper repair. That's usually where the extra cost comes in.
            I know, I've had to fix countless cars and trucks that were driven into other shops, then towed to my dealer service dept., after they fouled it up!
            Jim....I took it as he was amazed that it was done that cheap from a dealer....like he got a good deal. I could be wrong though.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

That's the impression that i was getting also ^^
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              ---------------------------------------------------
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

^^^ That's my point. Most folks ASSUME dealers are expensive. Yes, if you look at the $per hour for labor, dealer prices are a little higher than the local McRepair. But, the dealer techs are trained on only those vehicles, have the proper tools to work on those vehicles, and can usually repair the vehicle faster and more accurately than others. In the end, if you go to a dealer first, the repair bill is less than the McRepair's price.

I can't tell you how many horror stories I've encountered...

One sticks out; older F150, cranks slow, runs bad when does start.
                Local PepBoys = battery, solenoid, starter, positive batt cable to sol, pos cable from sol to starter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, PCM. Total bill $1200. Result = towed to my dealer because now it won't start.

Archway Ford = visual inspection, found broken ground cable from starter to frame. Total bill $115.

After asking PepBoys to bring down all the parts they replaced, I inspected and tested each one. Not a single part they replaced was failed. I reinstalled all the original parts on the customers truck for free, and sent him up to PepBoys for a refund.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

^^^ That's my point. Most folks ASSUME dealers are expensive. Yes, if you look at the $per hour for labor, dealer prices are a little higher than the local McRepair. But, the dealer techs are trained on only those vehicles, have the proper tools to work on those vehicles, and can usually repair the vehicle faster and more accurately than others. In the end, if you go to a dealer first, the repair bill is less than the McRepair's price.

Local PepBoys = battery, solenoid, starter, positive batt cable to sol, pos cable from sol to starter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, PCM. Total bill $1200. Result = towed to my dealer because now it won't start.

Archway Ford = visual inspection, found broken ground cable from starter to frame. Total bill $115.

After asking PepBoys to bring down all the parts they replaced, I inspected and tested each one. Not a single part they replaced was failed. I reinstalled all the original parts on the customers truck for free, and sent him up to PepBoys for a refund.
                  very nice....I hate parts replacers
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    very nice....I hate parts replacers
                    And in my experience, that's pretty much all they have at Pepboys.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

is that right, Arty? :mrgreen:
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I feel better! Sounds like I paid a fair price. It took right at 2 hours. I can't believe how quiet she drives now! I can actually hear the radio.
                        Vinny2
                        Northeast Iowa
                        1989 Festiva LX FI

Comment

Jim -- That is an amazing story ....thanks for sharing and your advice !!

Comment

Working...
                          X