I need to visit a church...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to visit a church...

I'm letting go of my Festiva. I want to keep it for fun but I have nowhere to put it. I'm gonna hafta sell it.

If there's anyone around Ottawa that's looking for a good running Festiva with about 250000km on it, white with a bit of a need for minor bodywork, 5 speed transmission that's working fine, nice dual trumpet air horn on the hood, PA system along with a CB radio, so you have the option of yelling at a slow driver or pissing off nearby truckers. It's white in color, it's the LX, 1991... Sunroof... Honestly, I love this little guy, but I do alot of travelling, and it's not very peppy when you try and pass someone doing 140+ km\h (Speedo only goes to 140), it's pretty light and kinda just like a box, so it catches the wind pretty easily. We all know about it, I don't need to go into details.

Anyway, I'm probably going to end up with a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon. Fully loaded, navy blue, 80 000km on it... Decent price, and this car gets excellent reviews everywhere I've looked. epinions.com is one of the biggest places to go find honest reviews, and it's got 4.5\5 stars, and just about everyone loves it.

Does anyone have any good\bad experiences or tips on what I should look at before I buy the Tiburon? I'd appreciate it.

No here's the whip, give me my punishment, and let's move on now...
    I'm here to learn... Teach me

Hyundai? RUN AWAY! Did you know Hyundai is Korean for Recall?

Keep the Festy and put a B6 in it!
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

My friend loves his Tiburon but to tell you the truth, they aren't nearly as peppy as my Festy with a B6 SOHC engine in it and the handling is really not all that confidence inspiring... If it was a stick maybe my opinion would be different... -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
        I thought it was Korean for lemon :lol: I should know... I bought a Hyundai Pony brand new... but I got over it.

Ian
        92 GL Sport
        Calgary
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Newbie, YOU REALLY DO need to go to church!

Do it now and say 1 billion Hail Marys and three and a half Holy Catechisms with triple gainers.

Then bury your Tiburon idea and get thee out to thine Festiva and beg it's divine forgiveness!

You want "fully loaded?"

Glue a cupholder on your dash and wear a funny hat. Sing the latest pop hit into a copper plumbing T section pipe fitting...that's your STEREO!! There ya, go "fully loaded" in a Festiva and no extra unsprung weight!

Now come back into the fold and we'll forget this ever happened.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hyundai has made tremendous progress in the past 10-15 years. Their early cars were a bit, ummmm, well let's just say junky. They have quickly caught up and possibly passed the quality/reliability of American cars and have the Japanese in their gun sites.

I would wager that they are making the domestic companies sweat a bit. Haven't you guys been reading any car magazine reviews lately??

If I were in the market for a new vehicle, I would seriously consider Hyundai.

Comment

I had a sonata for a rental while I was waiting for the insurance to get back to me about my car. It only got 25 mpg, piece of junk. They said it would get better gas mileage than the Taurus they had given me previously, but that got over 26mpg, had more power, was more comfortable, alot better radio, and had some neat electronic toys. Hyundai hasn't convinced me yet that there cars are good.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I've got no problem for hyundai's except the Tiburon The Tiburon is suppose to be a sport car, and after test-driving one I can tell you one thing, yes it's a car, but no sport at all. There's no accelaration in that thing! Pedal to the metal and nothing happens! And in every gear!
                Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

I was in korea about 6 monthes ago, and everyone drives hyundai, kia or samsung cars, the 1990's were a little better than the pony years, thats when the government stepped in with an interest in the company, and now with there 10 year warranty, i can't see why anyone would'nt consider them as an option, there goal is to have better overall standards then toyota within the next 5 yrs.
                  1989 Miitsubishi Mirage turbo RS, 4G61T, smic, 3"S.S. 13g, EBC,
                  89 LX carb Festy, 5spd, 106xxxkms, 2nd owner.

........Let boost be with you
                  and bring some timing too........

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
                    Hyundai has made tremendous progress in the past 10-15 years. Their early cars were a bit, ummmm, well let's just say junky. They have quickly caught up and possibly passed the quality/reliability of American cars and have the Japanese in their gun sites.

I would wager that they are making the domestic companies sweat a bit. Haven't you guys been reading any car magazine reviews lately??

If I were in the market for a new vehicle, I would seriously consider Hyundai.
                    dude, you on crack? have you ever worken on those scrap heaps? I will admit, quality for them has made leaps and bounds in last 5 years, but I would never equate them to even the worst domestic cars Cavalier J body. And ANY company that offers outrageous warranties on their products usually does so BECAUSE their quality is questionable, and that's the only way they can attract buyers. And, no, I don't read car magazines. They're a bunch of over-opionated, biased, self-proclaimed experts who suckle-up to the biggest teat for that issue. I prefer to read proffesional trade publications, since they usually have a vested interest in reporting data as accurately as possible.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I typically read consumer reports which has no teat.

I would post a link to reliability ratings, but it won't do any good since it won't show up if you don't subscribe. These are all based off of customer surveys, and in my opinion the data are good. They break the data into categories such as small cars, family cars, small SUVs etc.

All of Hyundai's models score better than average except the Tiburon which is slightly below average. At the top of each category as would be expected are Toyota and Honda. At the bottom are typically European brands, Mercedes, Volkswagon and often times American badges.

By the way, guess where the Sonata is built???

Alabama

Comment

Oh, and by the way, no I don't do drugs, never have, never will.

And, are you saying that every Hyundai model is worse with regard to reliability than every American plated model????????? I'm sure you're not, but I just wanted to double check.

If so, wherever you are getting that data, they are skewing results. I'd be willing to wager my house on that. There are many many vehicles far worse than the Hyundais. I'm not saying they are the best, but they are better than many, and you have to give them kudos for the improvements they have made over the past few years. They've done in five years what took the American companies 25.

Comment

And, are you saying that every Hyundai model is worse with regard to reliability than every American plated model????????? I'm sure you're not, but I just wanted to double check.
                          Of course he is not. There is no possible way for any car to be worse than an 89 Eagle Premier.

As far as Hyundai's go, my mother has one she really likes, and she is the only person who has a Hyundai that I have heard say that. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by FB71

Keep the Festy and put a B6 in it!
                            Hyundai has an excellent reputation nowadays... I've also done plenty of research on it and everyone loves it. For $8000can, 80000km, fully loaded, 2001, warantee for another 200000km, and a sporty car, good enough for a 20 year old, seems like a good deal. Alot of others think so. 2 of my uncles have used car lots and have sold a few, and never had any returns or problems with them. Everyone online seems happy, usually opinions online are bitchy people pissed off about something. People who are happy don't bother to come online and say they're happy, know what I mean?

I took it for a spin yesterday, the acceleration isn't TOO bad, for 140hp, you can't expect to have too much. Word on the street says you can easily install a turbo in there. That could be something to look into.

Side note, I'm not spending more money on my Festiva. It hardly seems worth it in my eyes. Im not a mechanic and wouldn't be able to swap an engine on my own. I admit, the thing is a blast to drive, fun little car to trott around in, but defintely not safe for my needs. I travel about about 2000km\month if not more. It's not just for around town. I need something that's more comfortable, quicker when I wanna pass someone, better reliability, good around quick corners, etc...

Tiburon seems like a good choice for what Im in the market for. I'll keep you guys posted. Noone has scared me off yet P

Keep the opinions coming though, it's always nice to see what others think of other cars.

And yes, I will do a dozen hail mary's and so forth, but I need to baptise the Festi before I sell it, if I end up selling it. The backseat's a little small and I'm lacking a girl, since my ex-fiancee went all wacko in the noggin a few months back... Careful with those women. They're unpredictable.
                            I'm here to learn... Teach me

Comment

Working...
                            X