Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info needed: Has anyone ever used a car hauling service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed: Has anyone ever used a car hauling service?

I need some info - has anyone here ever used a car hauling service?

We know people who have used them, with mixed results. Some have had *excellent* results, and others have had dismal experiences.

The particular vehicle we are interested in needs some serious restoration, and is not at all safe to drive. We can't just go get it, because my Mom lives with us, and she is a stroke victim, so spur-of-the-moment road trips are currently "on hold".

So, any recommendations or ideas on how to get a car from [a] to [b] without me leaving the state would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

The rumors are true: Zippy was born in our garage!

Currently living at The Tightwad Garage:
    *Red '89 L (Lucy) (Parked: needs TLC)
    *Blue '92 GL (Ethel) (Runs! Go, Ethel, Go!) ,
    *Silver '90 L+ ATX (codename: The Batmobile) our daughter's first car! (nearly roadworthy - watch out world!)

Depending on the vehicles location and how much of a road trip it would be, maybe a member here would be willing to make the journey for you?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

LOL, we probably have enough people here that we could "relay" a car coast-to-coast!

However, this car is currently NOT roadworthy, so having a member (or members) help get it here really isn't an option.

*Silver '90 L+ ATX (codename: The Batmobile) our daughter's first car! (nearly roadworthy - watch out world!)

Comment

Plenty of members here have vehicles capable of towing....I think that's what Damkid was talking about. That being said, some info would be helpful to find out if anyone would be able to assist you. What kind of car, condition, location, etc.
        Last edited by lanemeyer14; 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM.
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

It's a Festiva.

It's located in southern California.

I'm located in northeastern Oklahoma.

If I want to get this car, I'm going to have to hire a hauler...

Comment

Originally posted by ZippysMama View Post
            It's a Festiva.

It's located in southern California.

I'm located in northeastern Oklahoma.

If I want to get this car, I'm going to have to hire a hauler...
            Sounds like it. I know it's quite expensive, other than that I have no experience with hauling companies
            "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

My brother hauls cars for a living. I asked him several times about the price of hauling cars. He told me you could figure about $3.50 a mile. He lives in Utah and is constantly hauling cars from the West Coast to the East Coast, so if your interesed I could see if he wouldnt mind hauling it for you, or if he knows someone reasonable. Besides I have family all over Oklahoma. Infact my mom live's in Checotah, and my sister in Porum. It might give him a reason to go see my sister. Let me know and I will call him.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
              '12 Ford Focus

Comment

I would guess your looking at about $700-1000.
                '90 LX

Comment

Thanks, Murrill. Small world, hmm? We should know in the next few hours if the owner will accept our offer.

I think that wybnrml is probably right about the estimated cost.

:::sigh::: I just want ONE nice little ATX Festiva in the same area code as me!!!

Comment

:::sigh::: I just want ONE nice little ATX Festiva in the same area code as me!!!
                    Don't give up, though I had to drive about 200 miles one way for my first automatic, and 130 one way for my second.
                    '90 LX

Comment

Patience may be your friend here. I bought my 88 from a lot about 8 miles from my house, my 89 was a private sale maybe ten miles from home, and my 90 is the one I had to travel the farthest for, about 20 miles. (Actually just kind of lucked into that one looking for parts) Somewhere in the 700-800 dollar range sounds about right to me. Good luck, hope your offer is accepted.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

My brother had a car hauled from Delaware to Missouri a few years ago.. cost around $1000 if I remember right.
                        -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                        -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                        -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

I looked into it when I bought Casper from DJ's family... Instead, I ended up flying to Texas, picking up a U-Haul truck and trailer, and towing it home over 3 days.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Working...
                          X