Attn: tiva guru's, trans questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: tiva guru's, trans questions

I have this 88L with a manual, I was told when i bought it that the clutch was bad. ok, no biggie. I have done lots of clutch replacements. I first drained it and it was 90w, is that the correct fluid? I figured it was gonna be ATF, but I know little about festy trannys, i figured it's a MAZDA trans? Ok then I see a switch on the front with 2 green wires and a plug that isn't plugged into anything and no idea where it's supposed to go. Then I notice a plug under the right axle with two wires sheared off right at the switch, I am assuming that is the reverse light switch and why my reverse lights don't work.:confused1: kinda looks like somebody replaced an axle and pinched them while trying to get the axle popped out.:dink: Which I failed to get out myself and did the clutch with it still in the trans, that was a ball. The rain came in and I didn't get finished, so I figured I would ask while everything is still drained. Oh, and a retard question, where do you fill them back up and how much do they hold?:tard:
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

They take ATF fluid so yes your right there and you fill the tranny through the speedo cable hole and the sensor closest to the shift linkage/axle is the reverse sensor

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It holds 2.6 quarts of fluid.
      '90 LX

Comment

Tranny holds 2.6 quarts.
        Filled by pulling the speedo cable off the gear housing assembly.
        19mm open end wrench after PB blaster helps.
        Set aside the cable.
        Then break loose a 10mm hold down bolt thank is on a tab on the left side of the gear housing.
        Again PB Blaster will help, along with moving the tab for-wards and back-wards to help break it loose.
        once it moves freely pull up while twisting it and she should pop out.
        this assembly also has markings on it to act as a dip stick to show when the tranny is full.
        The hole from which the gear assembly was removed is were you add the ATF fluid.

Unless you have it on a lift or have small hands this is not pleasant.
        Good luck.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance and tips, now I hope I got all the 90W oil out that the previous owner dumped in there. It could explain alot of why it didn't seem to be operating correctly. Hopefully it didn't do it any harm having the heavy gear lube in there. Kinda hard to flush a manual trans...lol
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

You can always fill it to the marks on the removable speedo gear assembly and run her for a while and drain the mixture and re-fill it with new Mercon III/V.
            That should get most of the 90W out of it.
            Mercon and 90W should be miscible so there should be very little 90W left after the first re-fill and flush.
            There is a drain plug on the tranny.

Do you have a Haynes or a Ford manual for your festy yet?
            It shows the speedo gear assembly and how it is used to determine the fluid level.
            I can look for pics here if you need/want them.
            Last edited by Pu241; 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Pu241,

I don't have a haynes manual yet, but if advance has one when i stop this morning to get some ATF, I am going to pick one up. I was actually pretty impressed with myself. I removed and replaced the trans by instinct and when I found the instructions posted in the repair section, I had actually followed them almost to a t. I replaced a probe clutch a few years back and remembered all that fun. But the Festy was a whole lot nicer to work on.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

update on the trans deal. I got it all back together and found out the manual trans is smoked. I tried manually shifting it underneath with it running and it didn't try to do anything. So I guess I will either get a shweet upgrade to a 5-speed or hopefully atleast a good 4-speed. kinda bummed, but life will go on. I am just getting itchy to ride her around.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                X