How much to pay for Civic VX wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
    I do have studs. So I don't have to worry about the rings at all?
    Correct. Or good aftermarket wheel studs with longer tapers will do too.

BTW I bought a set of VX wheels for $150, with cheap but usable tires. That was the asking price.
    Last edited by TominMO; 02-27-2010, 07:07 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
      I do have studs. So I don't have to worry about the rings at all?
      ummm NO, there's a reason why most wheels are hubcetric.... it helps hold the vehicle weight. this fact was found out the hard way via SCC (the defunct magazine) had a sponsored track car and kept shearing wheel studs with aftermarket rims while not using rings. once the rings were in place, no more brakage.

now i'm the pot and Tom's the kettle here because i have yet to have any issues with my rims/studs (or vibration) while driving hard (4 years and a few races so far) but i strongly recomend the rings as it's cheap insurance.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ +1. Most wheels are balanced from the center hub, not the lugnut holes. It's best to get hub centric rings.
        Oscar

Comment

Where's the best place to buy hubcentric rings for mounting VX's?
          -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
          -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
          -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_Fred View Post
            x2
            "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

You don't need the rings if you use studs and nuts, or aftermarket lug bolts with longer conical sections. The problem we have is stock lug studs with very short conical sections, which are not enough to grab and center the non-stock wheels we put on. My 14" Estrellas have been on Casper and Kittystiva. First on Kittystiva I used them with stock lug bolts and got vibration. Took the wheels/tires back to where I bought them to check the balance; all good. Then I thought to use aftermarket lug bolts; problem solved. These wheels are now on Casper, which has been converted to screw-in studs with lug nuts. Again, no problem at any speed. Because of the design of the wheel, it would be very hard to use a centering ring, but it just does not matter. The proper fasteners do the job fine. Theory vs. experience.

The stock lug Festiva lug bolts work fine on Metro wheels (which are hub-centric BTW); they also work on non-hubcentric steelies too.
              Last edited by TominMO; 02-27-2010, 10:36 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have the stock wheel bolts on my car right now with my VX's and there's no vibrations or anything up till about 75 or so, but that could be my alignment being off a little.
                -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Ebay or any wheel specialty shop. You can get the rings in different sizes. measure the center bore of the wheel and the hub on the car.

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  ummm NO, there's a reason why most wheels are hubcetric.... it helps hold the vehicle weight. this fact was found out the hard way via SCC (the defunct magazine) had a sponsored track car and kept shearing wheel studs with aftermarket rims while not using rings. once the rings were in place, no more brakage.

now i'm the pot and Tom's the kettle here because i have yet to have any issues with my rims/studs (or vibration) while driving hard (4 years and a few races so far) but i strongly recomend the rings as it's cheap insurance.
                  Right, and not only cheap insurance, but the proper way to do it.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  You don't need the rings if you use studs and nuts, or aftermarket lug bolts with longer conical sections. The problem we have is stock lug studs with very short conical sections, which are not enough to grab and center the non-stock wheels we put on. My 14" Estrellas have been on Casper and Kittystiva. First on Kittystiva I used them with stock lug bolts and got vibration. Took the wheels/tires back to where I bought them to check the balance; all good. Then I thought to use aftermarket lug bolts; problem solved. These wheels are now on Casper, which has been converted to screw-in studs with lug nuts. Again, no problem at any speed. Because of the design of the wheel, it would be very hard to use a centering ring, but it just does not matter. The proper fasteners do the job fine. Theory vs. experience.

The stock lug Festiva lug bolts work fine on Metro wheels (which are hub-centric BTW); they also work on non-hubcentric steelies too.
                  Like you said, the nuts with a deeper taper help center the wheel better. The lug needs to match the wheel. So yeah, the proper fasteners do the job fine, regardless wether its a stud/nut or lugstud. Hubcentrics are the correct way to go about it.
                  Last edited by resuwrecked; 02-27-2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I have the stock wheel bolts on my car right now with my VX's and there's no vibrations or anything up till about 75 or so, but that could be my alignment being off a little.
                    Driveline alignment issues can cause vibration at higher speeds. Out of round tires and balance issues are most common.

Comment

Working...
                    X