Ford Oil Press "Idiot" Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Oil Press "Idiot" Gauge

I found this interesting tidbit on the Ford truck forums while researching an OEM tach cluster swap. I thought there may be a lot of us on here that have late '80s to early '90s Fords. I always wondered why oil pressure gauge always reads the same (even at a hot idle).

IMO, anyone who is concerned enough about actual oil pressure should install a mechanical aftermarket gauge with real numbers on it anyway....................
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

You'd be surprised how many cars out there are like that. Miata are a good example. The first few years were a true gauge but they switched and now switched back. I get countless questions now. "My brand new miata with 50 mi. on it has oil pressure issues the guage moves down at idle" I think companys did it because there are to many idiots out there who cant figure out the speedo let alone the oil pressure gauge.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Very interesting. That would explain nicely why my roommate's '70 F100's oil gauge reads so low, despite the engine being practically new.
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Volvo did the same thing with their temp gauges. The needle will sit at exactly half and not budge unless the car is overheating.

It really weirded me out when I owned a 740. I liked having a gauge that would move so I could monitor the engine temperature.

-Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I have an '86 with a 460 and I noticed the oil pressure gauge dropped almost to "0" at highway speed one day. It scared the crap out of me and I pulled off the road immdeiately. I checked the oil on the dipstick and it was full. I got back in and started the engine and the gauge registered half way up at idle. Started back down the road and the pressure stayed up. It still does it sometimes, but now I just ignore this "Ford better idea".
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Very interesting. That would explain nicely why my roommate's '70 F100's oil gauge reads so low, despite the engine being practically new.
            That may not be the reason. The article talks about 80s and 90s Ford trucks, not 70s.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ford started the practice in 1992 on F-series trucks, Broncos, Crown Vics, and E-series, and '94 in Mustang.

It was exactly for the reason suspected; customers would freak out if the gauge moved at all. Nearly all EXPECTED the needle to stay in the center while running. So Ford gave the customers what they wanted.

We actually had to retro-fit the '95-'97 Contours, because customers complained that the Temp gauge would move...
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^ priceless - the customer is always right . . . Stupid but right lol

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                92 GL - parts car
                97 aspire - parts car
                87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
                  ^. . . Stupid but right lol
                  bingo.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Jim, are they still doing this? Do you remember what years/models have the added resistor and which ones have the circuit designed this way? Isn't there a test mode on the newer instrument clusters with digital odometer that will display the actual value of engine parameters (like rpm, temp, oil press, etc) from the ECU?

Actually, I think the "go/no go" operation is probably the best set-up considering the general public. I wasn't like Ford was trying to hide oiling system problems. Besides, when all you have is a "L" and an "H", a moving needle doesn't tell you a lot anyway.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                    X