fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel problem

Ok guys last night i filled my car up I noticed when I removed the cap it seemed to have an excessive amount of pressure (hiss) so i filled the car up left the cap about a half turn loose and headed home well today i go out and i smell gas as I aproach the car and gas is running out the filler neck like a river (cause of the cap loose)

now to my questions

How is the tank vented? purge selonoid?vent and carbon can?

Is the oem cap vented? its got a stant cap on it now not sure if it is correct
    1991 Festiva B8 swap, gutted, otherwise stock-9.88@70

1974 MaverickLSX powered - 7.08@94

Festivas do that, mine does it, my past Festivas have done it, you might try going to the parts store and buying a vented cap.
    '90 LX

Comment

I dont know how the tank is vented, but pretty sure there are several fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay.
      Mine vents a fair amount of pressure when empty and the cap is removed for fill.
      I figure that to be a good thing to have a positive pressure in the tank helping fuel into the tank pump and up to the engine.
      There is probably a schematic of the fuel lines some where on here? That would show you...
      Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

you dont want a vented cap, thats what the vent line and canister is for. its under the brake booster. it may be clogged. but then again, i removed my canister and still have the hiss. I wouldnt worry about it, all cars hiss, use your stock cap and tighten it normally.

you have a fuel supply, fuel return, and vent line going to the engine bay from the tank. vent line goes into canister, out of canister, to purge valve, then to intake.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
          you dont want a vented cap, thats what the vent line and canister is for.
          ^^^ Agreed, use the OEM cap.

Mine hisses sometimes, and I run a lot of gas.
          Understand the fuel pump is cooled via the fuel.
          If your low on fuel, there is less fuel to dump heat into, so it's temp my get higher.
          With 10% ETOH, you could well volatilize the ethanol as well as the low boilers in the fuel creating the gas pressure you hear when you open the cap.
          It seems to be worse on hot days, toward then end of a tank of fuel.
          But never worried about it.
          Filled it with fuel and tightened the cap 3 clicks and on my way.
          When I say fill, I mean fill, I've put 10.3 gal in the 9.9 gal tank!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
          X