Today's Lesson in Common Sense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Lesson in Common Sense...

I have discovered that if you leave tools in the engine bay and drive off, you may get a nasty surprise!

I managed to f@$k up the alt/waterpump drivebelt today with the help of a ratchet that fell off the air filter and got jammed in the alternator pulley.

It didn't break or anything, but instead the belt twisted so that the "teeth" face sideways when they travel over the water pump pulley.

This happened 15 minutes before I had to go to work, so I had no choice but to leave things as they were. I made it there and back fine. It'll have to get me to church and back, as well as to and from work tomorrow dur to time constraints. Not good at all. Luckily I have a spare belt and tools with me.

At least I didn't do any permanent damage.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Ya big dummy!

You're supposed to put your tools on the ROOF. That way when you forget them and they fall off, all they may do is scratch your paint. On an older Festiva that'll just add "character."

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

you were lucky there Tim, if you can call that lucky?!

i think we've all done that at some point or another ops:
      KIA Pride 1996 1.3i LX 5dr 5speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
        Ya big dummy!
        It's the big one, 'Lizbeth! I'm coming to join ya!
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

No doubt a movie quote. The guys at totalprotectioninteractive.com do that all the time with DeNiro movies and more.

It doesn't help me any because I don't see that many movies.

Start alluding to poetry and maybe I'll catch on. Unless it's Amelie, The Sound of Music or The Princess Bride. Love all those.

"Much madness is divinest sense..."

Karl

Comment

Oooo, I forgot another movie...not necessarily one of my favorites, but quite memorable:

Secretary. :shock:

I love Maggie Gyllenhall!

Karl

Comment

Well, the belt snapped on the way to church. Luckily I pulled over the instant I heard it break and shut off the engine before any damage could be done.

Bought me a new one and had some fun adventures putting it on. I've learned a valuable lesson now...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

There is still a ratchet somewhere in the defroster vent in my T-bird, I chalk it up to Ford not putting a grill on there.
                4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                  Originally posted by Safety Guy
                  Ya big dummy!
                  It's the big one, 'Lizbeth! I'm coming to join ya!
                  Not from a movie but from an old TV Show.... Sanford & Son.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Before I could afford my own decent tools, I had a new battery put in at walmart since my aspire was hard to start when it was cold out.

The next time I opened the hood, I found a screw driver. Luckily it was resting on the head light and was kind of wedged so it couldn't fly into the radiator or the timing belt on a hard turn.

Lesson: Never trust WalMart... the battery they put in was a year old too, and now I'm having trouble starting in the cold again X(

Comment

Before I could afford my own decent tools, I had a new battery put in at walmart since my aspire was hard to start when it was cold out.

The next time I opened the hood, I found a screw driver. Luckily it was resting on the head light and was kind of wedged so it couldn't fly into the radiator or the timing belt on a hard turn.

Lesson: Never trust WalMart... the battery they put in was a year old too, and now I'm having trouble starting in the cold again X(
                      i got a ratchet screwdriver from the family van when it went in for general matience. ive used it many a times
                      -rev till the valves float grab second and haul ass-

Comment

I've left my dipstick lying on top of the radiator several weeks during winter on my Jetta. It got rusty. When I came to sell it, some potential buyers thought there was a problem with the engine
                        I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Think of it this way Tim.. at least it isn't hood pin locks.. Seems like everyone that has an FMS hood has forgot the pin locks at least once.. You should see the nasty gashes it puts into the cowl.. or the cracked windshields.. oh and btw the cowl is tack welded on so your not just making a trip to the j/y for a new part.. :shock:

Comment

Yeah I've seen that damage before, alot of work to say the least... Man I didn't realize it wasn't just bolted in!!! I'm going to be extra careful now when closing the hood!! -Kyle
                            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Working...
                            X