E85 Question or three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 Question or three

Was wondering if anybody has researched this topic or completed an E85 conversion?

Looks to be about a $500 project. Gas prices in Iowa are $2.57 for ethanol and $1.99 a gallon for E85. For round numbers we'll call that a 20% savings per gallon. What research I've done it appears that e85 is not as efficient as normal gas. Is it worth doing the conversion?
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

From what I have learned it there is not really any savings. Its cheaper, but doesnt go as far, so its about even with gas. No advantage to it overall and ya just spent $500 bucks to break even on fuel.
    Last edited by drddan; 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        From what I have learned it there is not really any savings. Its cheaper, but doesnt go as far, so its about even with gas. No advantage to it overall and ya just spent $500 bucks to break even on fuel.
        X2

E85 supposedly contains roughly 15% to 20% less energy than pure gas. So, 15% cheaper but you use 15% more. Besides the fact that you're helping reduce the amount of foreign oil we import (albeit an insignificant amount), the one true advantage to E85 is the Octane rating. You can run higher compression and more aggressive timing without detonation. Other than that, every vehicle I own gets slightly worse MPG even on E10, as compared to straight 87 Regular (which is getting hard to find). If I was building an older, non-computer controlled high compression engine, I would consider E85. My uncle, however, burns E85 in his Austin Mini SCCA race car. It has a pretty healthy Honda engine and really screams on E85.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I have already seen about a 10% drop in fuel economy with the 10% ethanol added to "strech" the fuel, E85 has got to be worse.
          186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
          1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
          1992 aqua L (agua)
          1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

I heard on the news that you can buy the stuff to make E85 at home just like how you can can make BioDiesel at home. Though people have been making Ethanol at home, it's called moonshine:p Here's a link to what I saw http://www.microfueler.com/
            Last edited by wybnrml; 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM.
            '90 LX

Comment

i want to make e100 for race fuel for my festiva... its like e85 but without the gas added in to it... if you make it right then its like running 110 race fuel... at a fractoin of the cost i just cant find a "how to make ethonal for idots" book... i found a book that went super in to it but didnt get past the first 5 pages then i lost intrest lol... (anyone have any good links? maby some vids? i like vids )

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                i want to make e100 for race fuel for my festiva... its like e85 but without the gas added in to it... if you make it right then its like running 110 race fuel... at a fractoin of the cost i just cant find a "how to make ethonal for idots" book... i found a book that went super in to it but didnt get past the first 5 pages then i lost intrest lol... (anyone have any good links? maby some vids? i like vids )
                Look at my post above you, it has a link that has a E100 machine you can buy, only problem is it is about $10,000 but you can get a $5000 tax credit.
                '90 LX

Comment

I've seen your uncle race the crap out that car a bunch of times here. That things so loud and crazy awesome. Does he still have the radiator throught the door mod? :lol:
                  '93 Red Festiva L BPT with G trans

Comment

Originally posted by rickter View Post
                    I've seen your uncle race the crap out that car a bunch of times here. That things so loud and crazy awesome. Does he still have the radiator throught the door mod? :lol:
                    I never heard about the radiator through the door mod, but it sounds like something he would do. It wasn't that way last September when he raced in the nationals here in Lincoln, but, that would explain the patch on the door panel. I wondered why that was there but never asked him!
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

It's not worth the trouble if you do not need the added octane.You will use almost twice as much fuel for the same milage.

I ran my old F100 on E85 for a while (11.5.1 BBF)
                      1991 Festiva B8 swap, gutted, otherwise stock-9.88@70

1974 MaverickLSX powered - 7.08@94

Comment

f100!!! lets see some pics ooo and some pics of that BBF

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                          f100!!! lets see some pics ooo and some pics of that BBF
                          I sold it about 6 months ago. wish id kept it been in the family since the mid 80's
                          1991 Festiva B8 swap, gutted, otherwise stock-9.88@70

1974 MaverickLSX powered - 7.08@94

Comment

thats a nice truck

i want a 1955 ford f100 like so...

and put a 460 in it and then strap a BIG turbo on it... the only thing im trying to figgure out is the trans, i know i want it to be a 4, 5, or 6 speed (would love a 6 speed, but its alot of cash... ) ooo and i cant figgure out where to put the turbo... in the engine bay for everyone to see or under the cab for no one to see :twisted:

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

ooo and i forgot the most important part... SLAM it to the ground on 18"s

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Working...
                              X