Craigslist: the ad and reality often differ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist: the ad and reality often differ

After missing out on several deals on Craigslist, I saw a Festiva for $150. The ad said it needed a tranny and it was an '88, although the picture clearly showed a 90+ Festiva. So I figure it's either an '88LX, he found a random picture on the internet, or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

So I figure, for the price, I can replace the tranny and sell it for a nice profit. I called up the guy, who said it ran OK but burned a little oil, which I figured was normal since it had 177k on it.

I went out to look at the car, and at first sight I was excited. It was a different car than the one pictured in the ad, but the body was straight as an arrow, although the hood and grill were spray painted black. Not a big deal, right?

Well I went to look inside it and I was confused. The interior, which was from an '80s Festiva, was trashed. Yet the dash was from the '90s and had the white gauges and switches. Where the VIN tag should be was a sticker saying something about a salvage title. At this point I learned the car was rear ended and the hatch was stuck shut, the locks were worn and he used a screwdriver to start it (no keys), and it would randomly cut out and die. I also discovered the transmission had no gears, so it wasn't a worn bushing or something. Basically the car was going to need a new interior and a bunch of small stuff fixed.

Not to be discouraged, I popped the hood. The first thing I see is no oil cap, and oil on EVERYTHING. Apparently he drove it without one and dumped oil in as needed. It also sprayed oil on the windshield at highway speed. Someone had swapped in the wiring harness, engine and 5 speed from an EFI Festiva and did a really sloppy job - hoses and wiring splices were everywhere.

So I at least wanted to hear it run. But there was a drain on the battery somewhere, and it was dead.

I offered the guy $50 (more than the car was worth, in my opinion) and he declined, so I left. I've never seen a Festiva so abused and hacked up as this one. It amazes me that the thing ever ran.
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

If the body is straight then 150 isn't bad but there is a lot of work to get her road ready

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
    92 GL - parts car
    97 aspire - parts car
    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Well, there's so much wrong with it - the stuff I mentioned doesn't include the "new" (bald) tires and messed up alignment, among other things - I'd have to sink a ton of money into it before I could even drive it around the block. But for a project car, it'd be perfect.

-Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Well, there's so much wrong with it - the stuff I mentioned doesn't include the "new" (bald) tires and messed up alignment, among other things - I'd have to sink a ton of money into it before I could even drive it around the block. But for a project car, it'd be perfect.

-Tim
        What parts can be salvaged? I bought my parts car with issues just for the price of the preimium wheels and actual new rubber on them and had many other parts to sell - a clean straight body is hard to come by round here

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
        92 GL - parts car
        97 aspire - parts car
        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I have an aspire trans and newer clutch and cable I'll sell you
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
            What parts can be salvaged? I bought my parts car with issues just for the price of the preimium wheels and actual new rubber on them and had many other parts to sell - a clean straight body is hard to come by round here
            I guess I'm spoiled up here, lol. The car would be probably be fine with a new engine and transmission, an alignment, and a few misc broken parts replaced. Just more of a project than I want to tackle right now.

-Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I bought my '88 parts car (blown engine) for $100 because I needed a good windshield. New one installed would have been $125+. Now I have a set of manual belts, smooth tail lights, matching steelies w/ decent rubber, clean doors and a clean hatch w/ defrost. Oh and a stock trans for the new BP swap.

A broken car isn't a worthless car. I would have paid $100 for a straight, rust free body. But if you're not in the market for a project car, you're not in the market.

1993 Ford Festiva L ($650)
              Mazda 1.8L BP - PaceSetter Header (in progress)
              Aspire Swap - 15x6.5 wheels, 205/50/15 tires
              >> Photo Album <<

Comment

I say post the guys info on here, or send it through pm requests... and forget about it. Let someone else deal with that mess if they want the car so bad.
                www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                Snoopy's
                4621 Atlantic Ave
                Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by jcbgrady View Post
                  I bought my '88 parts car (blown engine) for $100 because I needed a good windshield. New one installed would have been $125+. Now I have a set of manual belts, smooth tail lights, matching steelies w/ decent rubber, clean doors and a clean hatch w/ defrost. Oh and a stock trans for the new BP swap.

A broken car isn't a worthless car. I would have paid $100 for a straight, rust free body. But if you're not in the market for a project car, you're not in the market.
                  This is funny because I've bought 7-8 festivas that were junk for 1-2 parts....

Originally posted by Britstiva View Post
                  I say post the guys info on here, or send it through pm requests... and forget about it. Let someone else deal with that mess if they want the car so bad.

Good idea, keep it in "the circle"
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

here ya go...

White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Seems like I touched a nerve here. Sorry guys.

For $150 it's not really too bad of a deal, especially considering the EFI conversion and straight body. If I had more time and parts, I'd definitely snag this car, throw in a B6 and fix up the interior, and maybe even keep it for myself.

If someone wants it, I can go out there and pick it up for them. But I'm leaving Friday so I'll need to know ASAP.

-Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

i would buy it for 150 in a heartbeat
                        05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

I saw a sad sight at the junkyard today.....

This was the Festiva from the ad. I specifically told the guy to call me if he was going to scrap it. I would have paid him more than the $40 the junkyards here give for cars. Such a shame.

-Tim
                          White '89L auto - Sold!
                          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Dang that sucks.
                            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Working...
                            X