Gears and driving speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears and driving speeds?

Hi, I've been driving a Festiva Trio 2000 1.3L w/ 5sp manual for nearly 2 years now, it's my first and only car and I love it to death. I got to photograph it rolling over into 100,000km's I've done about 20,000kms in it myself.

When I got it (it was a gift from my boss, he's the best guy ever), I went to the local motoring bookstore and bought a user guide to go with it. I have no idea where it is now :'(

There was a table in it that listed gear shift changes along with recommended speeds and economical driving speeds. Can anyone post their copy? I couldn't find any reference on the net for it.

It's purely out of curiosity, I usually drive by listening to the engine as I don't have an RPM gauge

PS: Down here in Australia, my mechanic recommends I fill it with ultimate petrol (which is 98%, as opposed to 95% or the normal 90%). When I do that, it drives much smoother than 90%, accelerates better and the engine shakes less, and he says it prevents crap building up on some internal engine part that is costly to replace. Does anyone else here do the same?

Thanks
    Last edited by DoctorOwl; 03-22-2010, 12:49 AM.

I'll look into my haynes and see if it has one but I have no clue. As far as shifting goes...I'd say after shifting to 2nd around 15mph you can pretty much shift every 5mph or even less. Just don't BOG the engine like something fierce. When I drive easy I like for the engine to be in it's quiet zone to a slight strain on the engine. Most vehicles can handle 5th gear down to roughly 35mph that I know of but it all depends on gearing too.

and idk what to tell you about the petrol...I know here in US we have ethenol which makes mileage crap and doesn't run the best. As long as you're saying it is 98% petrol and not 98 octane then yeah I'd go for it if you already notice a huge improvement!!
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Aussie have higher octane than we do, they're like Japan: regular is 95 ron/mon!
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

When I was driving my festy I was usually in 5th by 30 mph. It seemed to pull great from under 1500 rpms. I usually shifted by 2000.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yeah I got down almost to 30 today in 5th (I was going on a slight downhill...) but I like to go a bit easy on it and not bog it too much. i don't think I'd give it too much gas or expect too much from it at 1500 in 5th gear...a downshift may be necessary. but within reason you can pretty much shift every 5 mph after 10-15 hope that helps
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

A lot of times I would cruise around town in 5th at 25mph or so. I think I remember going as slow as 20 even. As long as it isn't knocking or rattling you to death I don't see what the problem is.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

^that b6t will change all that lol!
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I was doing similar when I was driving the Capri. Not quite as low rpm as the festy, but still pretty low.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                X