why do they call them fiestas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do they call them fiestas?

i cant tell you how many people have said something to me like "i heard you got a fiesta," or "why would you go from a bmw to a fiesta"

i always correct them to tell them is a festiva lol. what is wrong with people though. i dont think ive ever seen a fiesta in my life.

is this only a lancaster pa thing? lol

no i've had to correct people as well. "its festiva, not fiesta" "oh, well, however you pronounce it.."

Comment

Haha, I think we get that everywhere with our cars. I get it all the time. And ppl usually mistake it for something totally different. Twoo days ago in palm beach a guy on a Harley asked if It was a justy and that night In miami a guy said look at the rabbit. My fiance promptly yelled
      back "its a festiva!" Lol. I do work on an older guys festiva fleet and he calls them fiestas

Comment

Not just a PA thing. I hear it in NC all the time too.

I think possibly it's a mixture of the Fiesta that ford sold in the US from 78-80 (it seems alot of people still remember this short lived car) and the word "fiesta" being more common and recognizable than "festiva". Ask pretty much anyone to tell you what a fiesta is and they will say it's a party or celebration. Ask them what a festiva is and they'll prolly look at you like you just showed a dog a card trick

This is all just specualtion on my part though.
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Ha!

I was in a McDs drivethru last week and some drunk walking by with friends was looking my way and I heard him say "Geo Metro."

No Metros around so he was talking about me.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hey, Motoexpress, do you think that Cooper S thought we were "metros" when we did the "fly by" of him?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
              Haha, I think we get that everywhere with our cars. I get it all the time. And ppl usually mistake it for something totally different. Twoo days ago in palm beach a guy on a Harley asked if It was a justy and that night In miami a guy said look at the rabbit. My fiance promptly yelled
              back "its a festiva!" Lol. I do work on an older guys festiva fleet and he calls them fiestas
              what are you doing down this neck of the woods
              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

I think its just subconscious for people to say fiesta because I guess its easier, Its the most annoying part about driving one since noone can seem to get it right unless they own one or like them and you have to constantly correct them
                It's not the size that counts....It's how you use it.

90 L 5spd- BP project
                90 L auto-rusted out and wrecked used as a parts shed
                89 LX auto- sold to a friend
                89 L 4spd- Gave to cousin as a first car

95 Honda Civic EX
                99 Jeep Cherokee SE
                07 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
                07 GSX-R 600 K7

Comment

I believe the only thing he could think of when we shot past him was HOLY FECAL MATTER! Festiva or Metro never crossed his mind.
                  Will

PS. On a side note last night on the return trip from Barb & Deans a Focus ZX3 thought that a Festiva would be easy pickens to impress his girl. He thought wrong! I left him by at least an 1/8th mile. I don't think that poor kid will ever live that down.
                  Last edited by Pu241; 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM.
                  Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                  187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

Originally posted by Motoxpress View Post
                    I believe the only thing he could think of when we shot past him was HOLY FECAL MATTER! Festiva or Metro never crossed his mind.
                    Will

PS. On a side note last night on the return trip from Barb & Deans a Focus ZX3 thought that a Festiva would be easy pickens to impress his girl. He thought wrong! I left him by at least an 1/8th mile. I don't think that poor kid will ever live that down.
                    haha. that is by far what makes me love my festiva so much. its beyond sleeper status.
                    Last edited by Pu241; 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                      Not just a PA thing. I hear it in NC all the time too.

I think possibly it's a mixture of the Fiesta that ford sold in the US from 78-80 (it seems alot of people still remember this short lived car) and the word "fiesta" being more common and recognizable than "festiva". Ask pretty much anyone to tell you what a fiesta is and they will say it's a party or celebration. Ask them what a festiva is and they'll prolly look at you like you just showed a dog a card trick

This is all just specualtion on my part though.
                      Yeah X2, People have heard the word Fiesta more then Festiva. Most people don't know what either of them are so Fiesta comes to mind before Festiva will ever.

I was at Autozone awhile back and the guy looked out the window and said is that your Fiesta.
                      '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by Motoxpress View Post
                        Will

Hahahaha! Sounds like the clutch is still doing good!! :thumbup:

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Clutch is rock solid! Thanks again for the help Mark.
                          Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                          187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

Anytime brotha! Glad to hear it's still doing good

WWZD
                            Zulu Ministries

Comment

I've been correcting people for 19 years. The other day a man told me he had a fiesta in his small junk yard. I went to look at it to be sure what it was. It was really a fiesta. He didn't even know what a festiva was.
                              88L 328,000 winter daily driver
                              93L 167,000 summer daily driver (AC)
                              90LX 374,000 swap candidate
                              88LX black- parts
                              89LX burgundy-parts
                              91L red-parts

Someday my ship will come in. With my luck, I'll be at the airport. (aviation machinist)

Comment

Working...
                              X