B8 swap costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B8 swap costs

First, how much should a good running B8 engine cost?
    Second, how much for the attached (F series?) transmission?

I may be expecting it to be too low. I have found the engine ranging from $150 from an individual all the way to $400 from a JY. I have found the transmissions are about $150-$250. The lower end of these ranges is a fair price IMO, but $400 for an engine that's been sitting on a shelf for 10+ years that they know NOTHING about seems a little pricey to me. I don't really plan on changing the transmission out with my B8 swap, but if I got a package deal, I may be able to recoup some of the costs. The engines are tough to find around here. If I find one that I feel is worth the $, it is usually already gone. I had one lined up and was ready to head out the door when they called only to find out it was already sold. Am I asking for too much for too little, or is $400 the going rate for an engine in unknown condition that has been sitting for 10+ years?
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

ive got a b8 engine thats been sitting in a jy garage for like 13 or so years. idk wat to do with it. i stripped one of the head bolts.

btw i only paid 200 for mine , it has 48k miles on it and is extra extra clean , but has been sitting.
    05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

Originally posted by fattie View Post
      btw i only paid 200 for mine , it has 48k miles on it and is extra extra clean , but has been sitting.
      See, around here for $200 you MAY get one with 125K miles on it MAYBE! I have searched and searched for a wrecked one that someone was going to scrap and wanted to part out, but no luck. I don't want to drive half-way around the country to get a deal on one, but a couple hundred miles isn't out of the question. That's just my luck I suppose.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
        <Insert Words>
        The B8 was scare around here as well - I found myself a deal and picked one up in AR for 150 and freight to get it to me cost another 150 - so far my running total is high because of the extras I've picked up - Header and exaust tape - 150, High output alt - 60, supper insulated plug wires - 30, MAF - 25, cone filter and adaptor - 30, matching oil breather filter - 10, misc plumbing to complete the swap - 30, and I've yet to pick up the lightweight flywheel and spec clutch 300-400. This cost doent incled the loom covers that I already have or the oil and filter change or any hose clamps, wire ties, or cleaning fluids to prep the engine bay

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
        92 GL - parts car
        97 aspire - parts car
        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
          The B8 was scare around here as well - I found myself a deal and picked one up in AR for 150 and freight to get it to me cost another 150 - so far my running total is high because of the extras I've picked up - Header and exaust tape - 150, High output alt - 60, supper insulated plug wires - 30, MAF - 25, cone filter and adaptor - 30, matching oil breather filter - 10, misc plumbing to complete the swap - 30, and I've yet to pick up the lightweight flywheel and spec clutch 300-400. This cost doent incled the loom covers that I already have or the oil and filter change or any hose clamps, wire ties, or cleaning fluids to prep the engine bay
          See, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to have it shipped, because for one thing, it is very expensive, and also, most freight shipping services won't deliver to home addresses. Thanks for the run down though, so I know what other costs to consider.

My Fleet:

Comment

There a loads in the yards around here. Your not more that 2 hrs from me
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
              There a loads in the yards around here. Your not more that 2 hrs from me
              Any idea what they run there?

My Fleet:

Comment

Buy a running car. It makes it easier. My .02c. I bought my b8 protege, for $400. I bought my bp egt for $400. They are out there if you look enough.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                X