Kittystiva MPG Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kittystiva MPG Runs

Today I went out and did an MPG run on Kittystiva, the blue Festy that I did all my previous runs in when it had a stock motor. Apparently when I wasn't looking, someone swapped in a B6 and then rear-turboed it. I thought Hmmmm, this would be a good time to check its mileage.

Did my usual 85-mile loop around St. Louis, at 60 MPH. Wind was almost nonexistent, partly cloudy, 68 degrees. I decided to make it a completely real-world test, so I left in the back seat, spare tire, and pass. mirror. The lights, fan and radio were on. Tires were 185/70x13 on 4.5" steelies, inflated to 35 PSI cold. I figure most motor swaps are gonna get bigger tires anyway. It was in 5th gear the whole time. I'm using 93 octane pump gas.

The result: 40.0 MPG, on a car that dynoed at 111 wheel HP at about 9 PSI of boost. I estimate that 54 WHP is stock.

Next I will try the exact same run but in 4th gear, on the theory that it will be more efficient when the motor is more in its optimal power band. I don't think this is true, but we'll see. Keeping the next test at 60 so that wind resistance won't be a second variable, as it would be if I tried the test at 70 but in 5th gear.

Edit: for the sake of turboing, ignition timing was reduced from 7 BTDC to 2 BTDC. This lowers HP when not in boost, which it never was in during the test. Better results should be gotten on a non-turbo B6 with stock timing, or higher timing and using high-octane gas.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2010, 03:01 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Wow, 40 MPG not bad.
    '90 LX

Comment

Good to hear Tom. I'm glad it gets good gas mileage. I was worried that would make you less happy with the car.

Gotta come up with a different name IMO.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
        Good to hear Tom. I'm glad it gets good gas mileage. I was worried that would make you less happy with the car.

Gotta come up with a different name IMO.
        You mean like Pussycatstiva? Kittystiva is in honor of your daughters since they are into Hello Kitty. Thank them again for the plastic dinosaur BTW, and Nina for all the help she provided in the background to make the little get-together such a success.

I figured it would get better mileage than on the trip home, when I had 800 miles of rainstorm to get through! And since it was cold, I knew I was mostly driving into a headwind at 75MPH. Might explain that 20 MPG tank of gas.
        Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That's the beauty of turbocharging. You can run a small displacement engine and have the fuel efficiency during normal situations, but, stand on it, kick in the boost and double the displacement!

As for the timing, there are pressure sensitive timing controllers that will allow you to run normal advance but will retard the timing under boost. The only limitations on your fuel economy should be a slight exhaust restriction and your right foot!

Congrats to both you & Euro on a job well done.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
            That's the beauty of turbocharging. You can run a small displacement engine and have the fuel efficiency during normal situations, but, stand on it, kick in the boost and double the displacement!

As for the timing, there are pressure sensitive timing controllers that will allow you to run normal advance but will retard the timing under boost. The only limitations on your fuel economy should be a slight exhaust restriction and your right foot!
            Right, I think a Master Boost Controller is in my future. Greg and I were just talking about this (again). This should also help gas mileage when off-boost, since I will then have more advance to play with. But first Greg will fix me up with a cat delete pipe.
            Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2010, 08:59 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Very good! Double the HP and it still gets 40 MPG.
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                Very good! Double the HP and it still gets 40 MPG.
                Yeah, pretty awesome little cars huh? Love 3rd gear on the on-ramp! "How'd that little car disappear so fast?"

BTW the main reason for the Hello Kitty sticker is to piss off drivers of cars costing 10 to 20 times as much, as I pass them at Warp Factor 3.
                Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Glad to hear you're back and lovin the car. I'll be over to take it for a spin!...:p
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Definately gotta get that timing advanced somehow.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Nice mpg's.Meow

Comment

^ crazy cat
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                          ^ crazy cat
                          Funny you should say that. That was my nickname at one of my previous jobs, but in Spanish (gato loco).

Disaster preparedness

Comment

You should have "Hello Kitty" as your avatar. :razz:
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                              You should have "Hello Kitty" as your avatar. :razz:
                              Done! Hahahahaha....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X