Replace Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Seal

"Just has an oil leak, think it just needs a main seal. " I am looking at an 88 festiva whose body is in really good shape. What is the main seal, and how hard would it be to replace?

i think theres two main seals, a rear and a front. as far as the complexity of changing em out ive never done it but ive heard from a couple of buddies of mine that its not hard to do. but im sure that somone that has done it will chime in

Comment

The front crank seal can be changed without pulling the engine, but for the rear main seal you will most likely have to pull the engine.
      '90 LX

Comment

Great, I have been looking for a festy for a few weeks, (I have to sell my GTP before I can buy one) and last week i helped my friend finish fixing up his 91 and had loads of fun working on it. It wasn't a hassle like say the GTP is to work on, there is space to move which is good. I would really like to get this car, even though it's an 88 carbed 4 speed, my friend is doing a B6T swap and I can buy his 5 speed efi from him and put that in.
        http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/1675530007.html here is the link

Comment

idk bro goin from a carb'd to an efi i hear is pretty tough, but then again i guess it just depends on you level of experience.

Comment

ok i found out the seal is the front one. whats the average price for a new seal?

Comment

$6, and EFI swap isn't that bad, just splice the EFI engine harness into the body harness where needed and run wires for an in-line fuel pump.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

thanks a lot guys, hopefully i will bring this festy home at the end of the week and get the seal in this weekend then i can be a true member of this site!

Comment

^^ Joe, I'm thinking thursday might work to go get that car.
                  -Josh R

Comment

Working...
                  X