finally got me a festiva!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got me a festiva!!!

so, after years of wanting a festiva, i got one. it's mine all mine.

it is white and all munched up on the passenger side but it's all beautiful.
    we used to race at my former friend's house and we would buy 200 dollar cars and race on a 1/10 mile track we burned into his field. i wanted a festiva so bad after seeing fun with dick and jane...

well, i have moved on and did the dumball rally last year in a 1987 chevy nova... team deathspoof, i was. anyways. the theme for the festiva was always a-team in my head, but for this year, it is hotwheels highway 35 scorchers number 29.

this little bastard runs so good.. it is frightening how hard it is to not roast the tires every time i accelerate. the engine compartment was completely black and covered in oil but a power wash took care of it mainly, but there is still a leak, i am sure it is probably the cam or crank gasket. gonna power wash it again and try to do the bottom of the car. help needed for gasket replacement.

i am looking for some parts local, i live in vancouver, wa but am on a budget.
    i pulled the panels out with a slide hammer but the front fender looks horrible now and the back quarter is pulled out but looks like an aluminum can after running it over and trying to make pretty again. the door is ok, but not the best. the hood is useable but not great and the front turn signal is no more.

the coolest/weirdest thing on this car by far is the exhaust. i guess it was falling off and the lady had someone she trusted to work on it and he happened to have a harley davidson muffler hanging around. holy crap, this thing sounds hilarious. it is about as loud as an electric leaf blower. at speed it is just a woosh sound.

so, i am looking for the parts i mentioned and possibly a cargo cover...sorta.
    like i said, i am on a budget, but i did ok on the price eventually.
    since i am being long winded i am sure one of you is bored enough to read this all.....i originally bought a van to do the a-team for 300 bucks, then i bought the festiva for 425. i then sold the van for 500 bucks for a total investment of 225. the car has close to 180k. besides the oil leak, i cant imagine this not going another 200k the way it runs. heck, it runs better than my 2007 yaris with 27k miles?! way more fun.

i had a 1968 charger as a kid and now have a 1966 charger. these are the most fun cars to drive because i like them. but the festiva is by far the most fun non charger car i have ever driven, even more fun than the subaru sti. really.
    i would love(to my wife's dismay) to hook up with fellow festiva owners in the vancouver/portland area.
    some things i would love help with are the oil leak issue. since i have never done one and the search yielded little usable info.
    body work parts, got some? i need the little wheel cap, too, one.
    will 5 cans of spray paint cover the car?
    anyone have a regular spoiler for the a-team look for cheap?(not festy spoiler) ricer style.
    any advice on lowering the vehicle cheap and easy, like cutting 1 coil?
    would just using a thicker oil/stop leak oil additive hold the car over until time was better on the oil leakage issue
    also looking for a roof visor for the a-team look.
    i am determined to do the a-team with this car sometime.
    it will rock.
    later
    mark
    ghosthunter242@gmail.com

Mark, Welcome to this site. IT's the best on the "net".

As far as an oil leak 9 out of 10 times it's the valve cover. I also reccomend replacing the oring on the distributor.

Look around and you'll find lots of good people and good parts here.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Welcome!:wave: This site has tons and tons of info that will answer all your questions plus some.
      And as you have discovered Festiva's are a blast to drive.
      '90 LX

Comment

2 new Washington members in as many days!
        Welcome aboard! Theres a few others up there also.
        And remember..
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.
          i am just wondering with these cars being so fun and bulletproof out of
          the box, why is everyone going nutso trying to stuff bigger engines in?
          the 1.3 seems to be more than enough for simple thrills. if i want big grunt, i pull
          out the big dog, the 66 charger. i think the doors weigh more than the festiva.
          i just love them the way kia made them. too bad no one makes a car this good any more.
          these are kind of like the old beetles in a cultlike existence and no one knows how good these really are. it is fun to have a secret that no one believes.

Comment

Originally posted by ghosthunter242 View Post
            the 1.3 seems to be more than enough for simple thrills. if i want big grunt, i pull
            out the big dog, the 66 charger. i think the doors weigh more than the festiva.
            i just love them the way kia made them. too bad no one makes a car this good any more.
            these are kind of like the old beetles in a cultlike existence and no one knows how good these really are. it is fun to have a secret that no one believes.
            We put bigger motors in because we can! My little 1.6 turbo actually out-quarter-miles older Vettes, Camaros and Mustangs. And I'm not done with it yet. And it still gets 40.0 MPG on the hwy; probably will get better once I stick on the boost timing controller and the cat delete pipe.

BTW put your location in your profile; might be Festy people near you.
            Last edited by TominMO; 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

There's one 1.3L Festiva that I saw a on here that revs to 8KRPM and is fully modded with a widebody kit, and no interior except a roll cage. But only one.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
                2 new Washington members in as many days!
                Welcome aboard! Theres a few others up there also.
                And remember..

We need a Washington meet...it would give me an excuse to go over to the west side lol.
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

tim, your avatar is priceless.
                  have you ever heard ice ice timmy? it is so funny i fall down laughing in pain and have a a hard time breathing. by all means we should hook up a washington meetup.
                  i have a big driveway. i could fit like 10-20 normal cars, so we could probably get like 20-30 if i moved the normal cars. my neighbors would just love that i am sure.
                  if yours leaks oil you park in the grass though. summer is coming.
                  mm

Comment

Originally posted by ghosthunter242 View Post
                    the 1.3 seems to be more than enough for simple thrills.
                    Someone needs a ride in a BP-T car. Welcome to the site.

Comment

He has his powerhouse with the chargers! I would love to own a 69 charger some day...
                      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

believe me, i love gutted cars. the nova i had last year(corolla) for the dumball was gutted when i got it and i finished the job. i took at least 100 pounds of sound deadener, rear seats, door panels, trunk divider, etc.. worth it in simplicity. i planned on gutting a festiva for weight savings on mpg on the 2000 mile trip coming up. the mantra is for every 100 lbs you save you gain a mpg...well that was the theory of traveling light. since my buddy and me are a couple of big fat asses, we're negating the mantra by 6mpg. but the interior was too nice to touch. so, it is festiva plush and not cavernous echoy. for real, if someone wants to show their ride off to me, turbo, nitrous, whatever, e-mail me. i'll take a spin in a turbo festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                          He has his powerhouse with the chargers! I would love to own a 69 charger some day...
                          here is the charger. been a dream for at least a quarter century.
                          my father made this a reality after my mom died. he got generous.crazy.

Comment

droolpureamericanmuscle............
                            ~Austin
                            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                            X