my festy and some ideas im throwing arround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my festy and some ideas im throwing arround

alright so ive been driving my festy for about 4k now and absolutely love it.. and dont want to get rid if it despite everyone else's opinion of it. its been giving me grief lately with random things failing, and stalling, ill go out and start it up let it run for 20 seconds, pull it out of gear and stall. its getting to the point now where the majority of the cars parts have been replaced so theres not to much more that can go wrong with it. my only real problem i guess is im not liking how loud this car is ive seen other festy's driving arround town and are quiet in comparison my car runs like a sherman tank... can barely hear the radio over the engine and has been this way since i got it. i know part of the loudness is the muffler being shot as ya.. take a look at the attached pic hehe.

but the sound im hearing isnt the muffler, its coming from the engine and the trans and is quite loud i mean you can barely hear the radio over the engine at high speeds with the radio almost as loud as it can go. so i guess im looking for suggestions on an engine swap, i think id like to stick with the b3 as im satisfied with the power its got and love the miles per gallon im getting right now about 47.5 mpg driving 80/kmh to and from work everyday. does the aspire have the same engine as a festy? probably be easier to find a aspire with low miles then a festy... my current engine/trans has 407k on it

buying a good condition festy is also another option id consider and swap the newer parts from my current festy to it. either swapped already or not preferrably painted as right now this thing is pretty ugly if i keep it im gonna send it in for a paintjob in black.
    Last edited by hermit; 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM.

You're close to me here in Calgary. I could meet with you somewhere and see if I can help.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

The muffler is obviously shot but how are those wheel bearings? When mine were bad the noise inside the car was almost unbearable. At 253k miles yours are probably in need of replacement. That may be contributing to the loudness inside the car.
      Oscar

Comment

You can get a direct fit muffler at advance for like $25.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Replace that muffler first .....then you will be able to pinpoint the other noise.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Just to clarify.. when you're saying the engine is loud, you're talking under the hood, yes? Sort of in a "all my pipes aren't connected" sort of way? Or a "I'm about to throw a bearing" sort of metallic noise?
            Carz:
            '09 Ford F-150
            '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
            '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
            225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
            ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

If its the exhaust , it could be where the down pipe connects to the cat. Both of my previous Festivas exhaust broke right there. They were both pretty damn loud. Thankfully I had a pretty good stereo in them thatd drown it out.
              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
              - Unknown
              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                You can get a direct fit muffler at advance for like $25.
                I have an entire exhaust system with a brand new NAPA muffler I would practically give him. The shipping is the problem these days.:dontknow:
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Don't mean to thread jack:
                  Can you get new pipes custom fit to a Festiva? I've seen cats and mufflers. If there are Festiva exhaust kits from the manifold back (downpipe, cat, intermediate pipe, muffler, tailpipe) then I could replace mine myself. Mine's quite loud as the downpipe/cat connection is messed up and the pipe is rusting through farther back on the car.
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

hermit, if you're gonna swap engines, grab a B6, you'll thank me later.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by hermit View Post
                      can barely hear the radio over the engine and has been this way since i got it.

You need a better radio....
                      1991 Festiva EFI
                      Papabug

Comment

alright so i got a new muffler a cherry turbo muffler and installed it, its quite a bit quieter until about 90km/h then it is the same as before, really loud. figured out the random stalling thing, the harness for the injectors was dirty, if i tapped it i could stall out the car, fixed by cleaning it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X