No announcement yet.

HF Portable Tire Changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Tommychu;325704]The only balancer I will mock is an on-car balancer.
    Spin-up balancers can do both static balancing and dynamic.
    Static balancing has it's place. Bubble balancers aren't the best way to achieve a static balance, but they don't require any power.
    QUOTE]

I think the on-car balancer would be better on older cars, ie with drum brakes. That way you are spinning the whole wheel assembly, hence balancing the the whole unit. I reckon nowdays, everything is pretty precise, so it wouldn't be necessary. Plus they were commonly used back in the day of bias ply tires and I think they would not have been as balanced from the factory as radials are these days.

As far as bubble balancers, I think they would do just fine for a Fester that is driven at legal speeds. Now, if I were going to turbo one and have custom wheels and lo-pro tires and hi-speed rated tires that would encourage me to break current legal speed limits, then a spin balancer would be a must. But, for a 12 inch tire or a 13 inch tire for normal driving, I highly doubt you could tell the difference between a bubble balance and a spin balance.

The main problem ppl have with balancing is they do it when the tires are new and never again. And they don't rotate them. The front tires wear much faster than the rears. The rears, essentially, just follow along. The fronts are wearing down by spinning the tires, going around corners etc. As they wear, they go out of balance. As they go out of balance, they out of balance even faster, cupping the tire or causing uneven wear. So your front tires end up wearing really badly and your rears are like new.

I owned a tire shop for several years. I believe I had ppl come back in for balance and rotate every 5,000 miles (check with your local tire dealer for exact mileage). So, lets run some numbers. 4 balances at $7-10 each and 4 rotates at $3-5 each, using low numbers that equals $40 every 5,000 miles. Now, let's say that Karl gets a bubble balancer and it does such a bad job that he only gets 1/2 the tread life of his 60,000 mile rated Kuhmos...........btw, there is absolutely NO way you would lose that amount of tread life due to the inferiority of a bubble balancer........he would do his own rotate and balance 5 times. 5 x $40 = $200. The money he saved he could just go buy a new set of tires, plus he gets the satisfaction of doing it all himself!

Every time you go to the jy, take some wheel weight pullers and pocket you some free wheel weights to cut your cost even more. Torque them bad boy, HF removed tires and ghetto bubble balanced wheels to 69ft lbs and you are in business!

And THAT is how Midwest Festiva Inc rolls!
    Last edited by Levitan; 04-10-2010, 08:35 PM.
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommychu View Post
      Fresh: That's understandable. Mower tires still give me the gears sometimes after five years of doing this.

Thats good to know, thought I was losing my mind... again. Dumb old mower tires anyway !!
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

lol i use a bubble baallancer for my festy and it drives nice with 4 new tires i bought but best of all i have another set on 13 inch rims i found off a festy just today but got get some tires first then gona put the 12 inch ones away for summer and use the 13's but yeah i have an electric tire mount machine i'm to cheap to mess with that and break my back spend $900.00 and get the machine from HF its more worth it just uses 220 volt plug thats all have fun
        FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
          But, for a 12 inch tire or a 13 inch tire for normal driving, I highly doubt you could tell the difference between a bubble balance and a spin balance.

plus he gets the satisfaction of doing it all himself!
          Levitan, who certainly has enough experience with tires and Festivas to qualify as an expert in both, makes a good case for giving this a try.

One additional advantage of doing it yourself is that you don't have to trust some minimum wage guy to treat your baby with the care and concern you would lavish on it yourself. The truth is, "He won't. He never has and never will."

I've watched these guys in action when I've bought new tires. Though they usually go through the motions of doing all the steps they are told to take, they might as well be doing them in the dark of night, asleep. I have yet to see any of them inspect the inside lip of the wheel for gouges or scratches or dirt buildup. And when they put that lubricant/sealant on the rim it is just a quick wave over the tire, as if they were brandishing a magic wand. But, of course, there is no magic and the stuff might just as well have been poured directly on the ground.

And though they will put a torque wrench on the lugs after tightening them with an impact wrench, I have yet to see the wrench actually turn the lug before clicking. How much of this fakery does it take before you become convinced no one will do it right but you.

I've often thought, the reason my tires always seemed to leak air at different rates was because no one ever bothered to study the lip of the rim and use some steel wool to smooth the surface so that the best seal could be achieved. That's something I would not only do, but take delight and pride in doing. The sad fact is, no wage can buy that level of service.

In the years that I maintained my 1967 VW Beetle, I discovered that if you cleaned all the grease out of the wheel bearings and races and lubricated them with something like WD-40 they would become so responsive that you could use them to balance a wheel. I thought at the time, if I had a garage I would mount a spindle on the wall and used it to balance my tires. It worked for me then. I wonder if that approach might not be more accurate than a bubble balance since it more accurately locates the axis of rotation and more closely models the actual installation.

John Gunn
          Coronado, CA
          John Gunn
          Coronado, CA

Improving anything
          Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Interesting points about the bubble stuff!

I'm still not sure I'll get the tire mounter/dismounter. I'd prefer to do it myself! Been disappointed too many times with shops either saying "nothing's wrong" or out to replace everything that they can take off and make money on.

Much food for thought.

Gas will soon be going up and in a couple years, if not sooner, so will taxe$$!

The more you can do yourself the better, I say.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I used to own one of these tire machines (HF) and they work ok. I prefer to take mine to wal mart. They will change just the tire off the car for $3.50 each. I have and use a bubble balancer everytime I rotate my tires and I regularly go faster than the speed limit with no problems.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

You mean a bubble balancer like this one from HF?:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Less than two feet high and one foot in diameter. Under 14 pounds. Wouldn't take up much room, eh?

Balance my tires and wheels whenever I want to.

What if all the hoopla over spin balancing all these years was because large companies could afford to buy the (ever more) expensive machines and they perpetrated the idea that spin balancing was much superior to modern cars at higher speeds?

What if there isn't as much difference as most people think?

Bubble balancer + balance your own tires when you want as much as you want + checking your own tires often for pressure and tread depth...

Vs. only having your new tires balanced when you get them or if they start acting up.

Hmmm.....

More hmmm; here's a thread from miata.net:

Here's an Atlas static balancer and you can click to see the steps and more pics:

How to use one:

Karl
                Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Same one Karl. I have had my car to 130 + mph and no issues. Mine is a napa brand tho. But the same. I have been using it for years. And I can tell people I rotated and balanced their tires. It's also the only balancer that would work for my friends big tires(4x4) He took his to 5 different shops (failed) before I told him to let me try. Now he won't take his truck anywhere else. HF also sells stick on wheel weights for $1.99 a pack.
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    Dave G,

I still recall your oil blow-by collection unit.
                    Nice work!
                    Want pics of the muffler!
                    Here you go:

Comment

I rode in Dave's new muffler carrier the other day. It's not too loud at all! Lovingly fabricated out of various metal parts just sitting around minding their own business, with the help of Dave and a few cents' worth of electricity!

His oil recovery tube under the hood was pretty neat, too.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                      X