looking to get into welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to get into welding.

i took a welding course as a freshman in highschool , mostly did stick welding. but it would be nice to be able to fab up my own stuff. whats a good begginer setup ? should i go stick , mig or tig ? not looking to spend a fortune but i want something decent. thanks
    05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

MIG is probably your best bet for beginner. When I started welding we had a MIG welder from Harbor Freight, it didn't last but a couple days. So we went to Home Depot and bought a little Lincoln welder, I can't remember the model, but it did alot of stuff. I think when it comes to a welder you get what you pay for.
    '90 LX

Comment

Get a little mig welder that runs off 110. I have a MB135 Blue Point mig welder that I got for a couple hundred bucks and I do everything with it. It has 7 heat settings and infinite speed settings. The cheaper ones with only 3 heat settings seem to be not as good though. Definitely get a mig as your first welder. Once you get a welder you will want to weld on everything!! Thats my .02

Comment

I use a lincoln 110v mig with gas.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

It all depends on what you want to Weld. I have a cheap Cambell and Hausfield 105 Mig 110 volt that I use for small jobs, if I want I can use gas but have only used Flux core wire so far, plus it can do aluminum if I get the urge with proper gas and wire. But when I want to do some Heavy Hitting I break out the old Lincoln 225 amp stick welder and plug it into the 220 volt electric cloths dryers outlet. Its great for welding thicker steel and cutting it too if you dont have access to a Gas Axe.

Comment

I have a Miller 135, 110V and gas hookup. I love it to death. Start with a mig. I stick weld, but rarely. If I am building derby cars the Mig is used for 90% of the prep work.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by wirebrain View Post
              It all depends on what you want to Weld. I have a cheap Cambell and Hausfield 105 Mig 110 volt that I use for small jobs, if I want I can use gas but have only used Flux core wire so far, plus it can do aluminum if I get the urge with proper gas and wire. But when I want to do some Heavy Hitting I break out the old Lincoln 225 amp stick welder and plug it into the 220 volt electric cloths dryers outlet. Its great for welding thicker steel and cutting it too if you dont have access to a Gas Axe.
              everything from sheetmetal to tubing and stuff.
              05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

Working...
              X