Humming noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming noise

My car has developed an annoying humming sound lately. Starts at about 30 mph and is at its loudest at 45-50 mph. It almost sounds like im rollin down the road on 35" super swampers. The sound is coming from the rear...any ideas? Bearings? Just did bearings a month ago...maybe I did something wrong.
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Rear wheel bearings. You may have over tightened.
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

or not tightened enough....but because it sounds like the back or one side over the other does not mean that is where it is coming from. When you are driving and it is a bearing.....it is very hard to tell where it is exactly coming from.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

im pretty sure its the back...when I did my wheel bearings, I tightened them down so that there was the slightest bit of play in the wheel. One of the mechanics I know said it would be good to leave a little play so that the bearing can get hot and expand.
        Tyler

Comment

After doing rear bearings I'd check them a few days later to see if they loosen too much.

Depending on the sound you might also check your muffler tailpipe area for holes.

Finally, if you just removed your back seat or changed the rear interior in some way you could simply be hearing more noise.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I actually did some exhaust work a couple weeks ago and fixed all of my exhaust leaks....at first I thought my bearings were bad because I could finally hear the tires lol but now the noise has gone beyond tire noise. I 'think' the haynes manual says to tighten the spindle nut to 18 ft/lbs. I did that and I couldnt even turn the tire. I might try just retightening them and see if that helps im not sure though....
            Tyler

Comment

Working...
            X