Any Diesel Mechanics on The Site????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Diesel Mechanics on The Site????

I have a 94 F250 Ext cab, long box, 4x4, 390000 kms on her, and she is just seeming a little low on power. She is bone stock, still has all factory exhaust (cat, muffler, squished down pipe). I basically want to get some more power back and just free up the exhaust a bit... I am thinking of using the factory system and just putting a new downpipe in as the rest of the exhaust looks good.

It smokes from under the hood sometimes...you can really notice the smoke on cold days. I know it is coming from the back of the engine area but I can't pin point where. Now the weather has warmed up and I don't see the smoke as well but can smell it in the cab. I went out today with my flashlight and started the truck and tried to point the light at the spot where the up-pipe meets the Y and couldn't see any smoke, I even felt with my hand and didn't feel anything. I did however get black soot on my hands when I grabbed the up-pipe... more soot from the drivers side one...

All the clamps on the turbo are tight...

Would there only be exhaust leaking from the up-pipes when the truck is under load or that valve in the turbo is closed?

Where are the up-pipe doughnuts, at the point the manifold meets the up-pipe or where the up-pipe meets the Y pipe?

Could the Cat be plugged up and cause a loss of power after that many kms?
    90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
    BEFORE AFTER

fb71 complete Ford tech forever and professor at a college teaching about cars and trucks
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

What color is the smoke, white on startup is normal especially if the weather is cold.
      Get rid of the cat, not needed, run a straight pipe or gut the cat.
      Read dieselstop.com

Comment

low power could simply be a tune up unless its a lot of power loss
        If you have an exhaust leak it could be throwing off the sensor readings - black soot depending on the amount indicates its running rich - white smoke on start up is normal when its cold but means problems if it continues once the motor is warm.
        If you want to turn your motor up your in luck because there are plenty of aftermarket options for free flowing exhaust and boost chips available.
        As for your exhausted leak I would say its on the right hand side sometimes you can get away with simply tightening but you may have to replace the clamp and gasket.
        Unfortunately my diesel knowledge is heavy equipment and commercial trucks so I'm not that familiar with the exhaust set up on your ford

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
        92 GL - parts car
        97 aspire - parts car
        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

thanks... i think i got it figured... its roughly the same as a international 444E, only difference is that the ford uses a doughnut on the up pipe where it connects with the turbo collector. Well this is what I was told on another forum....It sounds like a big pain as you have to remove the turbo to get to the doughnuts... any tips for removing the turbo? is there going to be anything in there I need to look out for?
          90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
          BEFORE AFTER

Comment

Originally posted by LittleHoe View Post
            thanks... i think i got it figured... its roughly the same as a international 444E, only difference is that the ford uses a doughnut on the up pipe where it connects with the turbo collector. Well this is what I was told on another forum....It sounds like a big pain as you have to remove the turbo to get to the doughnuts... any tips for removing the turbo? is there going to be anything in there I need to look out for?
            Check and see if your turbo is locked up.

Comment

Make sure you soak the bolts in PB before you pull them - that way you have a chance at getting them out with out snapping them. also on the compression donught make sure you use new hardware and torque them properly - over tourque will cause leaks as well - if its been on there a while be prepared with a cut off wheel - this will free the tention

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Well i am wimping out, Minute Muffler here has a guy that specializes in doing these doughnuts, I was referred to them from the other 2 Diesel truck shops in town. I called Minute and He said $330 including parts... I can't go wrong with that... I need the truck for my business so I can't really afford to break something and have it down for a week...

So ya thanks for the help but I am wimping out this time.... oh well... That will give me more time to focus on the Festy...
                BEFORE AFTER

Comment

Working...
                X