Any other "post 'yard rituals?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other "post 'yard rituals?"

I bet ya'll know the deal: You either had a successful haul day at the junkyard or you came up with squat or maybe got snookered on the cost of parts.

Now it's "xxxxxxx time."

I go to White Castle. Mmmmm sliders. Only today I had a coupon for two double cheese, fries and drink. Yum. Bad for me of course.

I learned of two "new" '92 Festies in PnP from their online inventory checker. This morning I got a right side mirror, a left side power mirror, two power relays and three stock steelies with really good shape 145/80s on 'em.

I thought about getting the 13" Metro rims on the other Festiva, but I'm tired and need to do some housecleaning. They had no wheelbarrows for me to use (Sat. mornings are usually busier) so I had to carry everything by hand.

By the end of this summer I hope to have three nice Festivas all done up right:

AquaMutt: colorful beater and "utilitystiva" with roof rack and hitch; Aspire/Rio running gear; no rear seat; stock B3; make the yuppies cringe thinking I'll scrape their brand new BMW

Luxstiva: rebuilt properly with a newer Aspire ATX and maybe some mild B6 work and my FMS header; switch front brakes to auto rotors/calipers since she's auto and will pull trailers

Twinstiva converted to...

Speedstiva!: fully rebuilt; painted dark blue; mild B8 and Aspire/Rio suspension; my dream car

Plus a trailer made out of Muttstiva's back end "just because" and...

another flatbed trailer with the capability to haul a custom junkyard cart! So I don't have to rely on finding a stupid wheelbarrow that needs an alignment and new tire...

And more trips to White Castle of course.

What are YOUR rituals?

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-24-2010, 09:29 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

If I had a good day at the yard and feel like I made out with a good parts haul for cheap I treat myself to hardees. It takes me about an hour to readjust to civilization. It can be a desolate place in the yard I go to. When I get home I unload and lay it all out in the driveway or garage and bask in the shining glory of the new treasure lol.

I feel the same way about a pile of junkyard parts as I do when a big Summit/JEGS box shows up.
    Last edited by resuwrecked; 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

It's not too often I even go to a junkyard but I just normally go home and start installing the new parts I just got

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Anymore i don't seem to find a dang thing. Last time i went to 2 different yards i hadn't ever been to. One of them had 3 Festivas but they looked like they had been rolled down a hill on their way into the yard and didn't have a straight body panel on the whole car and all the windows where busted so the interiors where rained in and shot. Then the other place didn't have anything new. Our U Pull And Pay is SOOO unreliable with their online inventory...they never update it. I've driven there several times looking for cars and they're long gone when i get there (45 minute drive wasted).

I generally do the same thing....go get some food. If i got a lot of good parts that i can install then it's eat and then go play with parts.
        Last edited by Evil D; 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Generally mine is go to the junkyard, get very disappointed, search around at the random cars they have there but are no use to me (they very rarely keep anything Mazda), go home, and take a shower.
          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
          1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
          2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
          2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I have a habit of using weird GM parts for somewhat irregular purposes so if I can't find what I'm looking for the chev section is literally half the yard. You can always find something.

Comment

Used to go get a burger at In-N-Out after a good day at the Pick-A-part, but here in Pittsburgh, not only are there no pick-a-part type places around here, there are no In-N-Out's! Some things are better in CA.
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

With me, its a mad dash to Tim Horton's for an Xtra Large coffee refill (3 cream/2 sugar) and an Old Fashioned Plain donut.. for the drive back home.
                Carz:
                '09 Ford F-150
                '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
                '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
                225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
                ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Ahhh!

They're not all HAPPY STORIES!

Oh well, reality, I guess.

I have gone to the 'yard and found nothing, so I know how it feels!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I usually cry myself back to sleep. I'm sure Roboskittle has picked through the good stuff.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

My post 'yard activity today was attempting to kick myself in the face.
                      Why would I want to do that, you ask?
                      I went to pull an aspire rear end.
                      Couldn't get the strut off, so I started farting around with an EGT.
                      Ended up pulling the engine. Was quite proud of the fact that I was able to do it in a couple hours on my own without bringing any of my extra tools, just my basic socket set.
                      Dropped it off at my dad's place out of town.
                      Got back home and realized I forgot to try and turn the crank.
                      If it's seized, my regular JY has a pretty good return policy, but still. That would be a horrific waste of an afternoon.
                      I can't reach my face with my foot, but trying to stretch my leg that far I think is enough pain to teach myself a lesson.

Comment

I usually just head to the ER, get my wounds all bandaged up, and grab a 12 pack of Mike's. Now, on the bad days......

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                        X