Aspire rear seat trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire rear seat trick

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the rear seat trick with an Aspire. I knew that the 1988-89 Festy seatback (which has separate headrests) would bolt onto the Aspire seat frame, but little else. So I bolted my '88 Festy passenger seatback to the frame, removed the headrest, moved the seat all the way forward, and reclined it. This gave 58" of bed, which is a good start but too short for most people. So then I unbolted the 17mm bolt on the outside of my Aspire right-side rear seatback, took it completely off and just laid it in the trunk area. Above you see the result. This gives about 6'5" of bed.

Note that my Aspire has a split rear seatback. I will go to the JY soon to see if this can be done with a one-piece rear seatback too. Looks like it might be doable with some squeezing.

Equipment needed:
    one (1) Ford Aspire
    one (1) Festiva 1988-89 rear seatback (or two (2))
    #2 phillips screwdriver
    8mm hex head socket, or 8mm L-shaped wrench
    17mm wrench, or metric adjustable wrench
    optional--a knife or other cutting tool

The knife is used to make a cut in the plastic cover of the reclining mechanism, at the recliner handle, so you can remove it. Or you can try to remove the plastic recliner handle.
    Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

what seat back is that out of Tom?

PS - those airbags look sharp - cant even tell - I still have the 97 clear tails if your interested - did you ever find fogs for the 97 bumper or did you find another early SE bumper

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
    92 GL - parts car
    97 aspire - parts car
    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
      what seat back is that out of Tom?

PS - those airbags look sharp - cant even tell - I still have the 97 clear tails if your interested - did you ever find fogs for the 97 bumper or did you find another early SE bumper
      Might want the clear tails. Can't hurt to have some extra tail lights. Haven't dealt with fogs, probably won't bother.

I guess you saw the initial post when I only had the picture in there. After I made sure the picture worked, I added the text.
      Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

looks good man, nice to know the info for long road trips!
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          Might want the clear tails. Can't hurt to have some extra tail lights. Haven't dealt with fogs, probably won't bother.

I guess you saw the initial post when I only had the picture in there. After I made sure the picture worked, I added the text.

Yeah I saw it with just the text lol

just let me know - they are still on the car

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
            just let me know - they are still on the car
            Yeah, go ahead and yank 'em please.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

got a pair of clear corners? I'll send you a set of amber ones and a little $ for them
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                got a pair of clear corners? I'll send you a set of amber ones and a little $ for them
                I've got clears and ambers but I'm keeping them both.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

i hope its more comfortable then it looks.. i slept in a normal festiva seat on my way to fm3 while my wife was driving..

Comment

Originally posted by takeone51 View Post
                    i hope its more comfortable then it looks.. i slept in a normal festiva seat on my way to fm3 while my wife was driving..
                    I have done it and slept like a baby, in a sleeping bag. I did use a couple of foam seat cushions, the kind you put on top of a seat to make it more comfortable, to even out the "bed".

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Hey.. notice that he said he bolted on the back of a Festi seat to the base of the Aspire seat?

You won't be able to lay flat with the Aspire seatback on there... but it could elevate your knees. LOL
                      www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                      www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                      Snoopy's
                      4621 Atlantic Ave
                      Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

are aspire seets bigger or something?
                        1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Teal, B3E - "Trusty"
                        1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Red, B3E - "Eggy" (RIP)
                        1989 Ford Festiva LX, ATX, Maroon, B3E - "TBK" (RIP)
                        1991 Ford Festiva GL, ATX, Red, B3E - "Festiva GT" (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by pwgus View Post
                          are aspire seets bigger or something?
                          Check the picture again. Aspire seats have the built-in headrest; early Festy seats have removable headrests, which you need to do this.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Update: went to the JY to check out whether the rear seat trick can be done with a one-piece Aspire rear seatback. The answer is no; you just can't fit it in the trunk like you would need to.

As an alternative, I would just take out the one-piece rear seatback for long trips, and bring along some pillows or something to lay in the trunk.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                            X