Tire size vs gas mileage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size vs gas mileage question

I've pondered if i've asked this question before, and all besides that crazy voice in my head says I haven't. Okay.. I have 175/80/13's on my aspire, the factory size was 165/70/13, the normal size seems to be 175/70/13. I wonder how much those taller tires are throwing off and possibly hurting my fuel economy? The ride can be horrible at times, but I would think these bigger tires would help rather than hurt. I might have a chance in the next week to get a good deal on the normal factory size tire/wheel (165/70) combo and i'm wondering if I would be better off changing them even though the tires on there look like they'll last another 30-40k easily. Also the handling is terrible which I know is characteristic of taller tires, sort of unnerving in rain and such. Although I guess that would pretty much be the same with 165's. To change or not to change that shall be the question.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

I went ahead and changed out the 175/80/13's for 165/70/13's. Those tires are small compared to the others. Funny thing is that the 165's wider than the 175's. The 175's were crappy wal-mart tires so that shouldn't surprise me. I know for a fact that I don't have to struggle up hills like before.. only time will tell on the mpg. With the gear ratio's of the aspire I defiantely recommend that you run 70 or 60 series only (of course depending on the actual rim size...)
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
      I went ahead and changed out the 175/80/13's for 165/70/13's. Those tires are small compared to the others. Funny thing is that the 165's wider than the 175's. The 175's were crappy wal-mart tires so that shouldn't surprise me. I know for a fact that I don't have to struggle up hills like before.. only time will tell on the mpg. With the gear ratio's of the aspire I defiantely recommend that you run 70 or 60 series only (of course depending on the actual rim size...)
      it's probably because the 175s were crap I'll bet that it's moreso a thing with quality than size.

Comment

I noticed on my car that after I went from my Wal-Mart 12in tires to the stock aspire wheels and tires with my brake swap that my acceleration did suffer somewhat from the increased curcumference of the wheel and tire
        Paul
        91GL
        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I found a website where you compare tire sizes and shows you how much your speedo's off. Mine was actually 5.68mph off. I guess the hi-po was right they said I was going 68 when according to the speedo I was going 60. No wonder it seemed like I was flying at 70, and passing people like crazying.

Selects a tire width, select an aspect ratio, and a rim diameter, and click on calc. The program calcs the correct tire diameter. this number can then be compared to the MFR original tire diameter.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Once I finally order the tires I want for my Miata wheels they will be 195/45/14 and according to the tire calculators my speedometer will show I'm going faster than what I actually am. I can easily live with that since when I think I'm going 5 over ill be going the speed limit he he
            Paul
            91GL
            Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Working...
            X