Again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again!!

Well crap! I just got my car on the road 2 weeks ago after pretty much rebuilding my front end and doing a bp swap while the front end was out. I heard a too familiar noise while driving home from work yesterday. Fortunately I was almost there when I heard it. I jacked up the front end , pulled off my wheels and guess what I found? Yup play in the same doggone wheel that practically came off on me last month. My first thought was that the crush nut loosened and that was why I had play. Nope crush nut still in place and tight. It actually feels like my inside bearing has play. My brand new inside bearing that was professionally pressed on by a shop I might add. Kind of makes me wonder if the hub I bought from the jy was faulty. On Tuesday morning I will use my last tow with AAA to get my car towed to the shop . Fortunately Neil (gorgonheimer) has a spare hub I can try if mine turns out to be bad. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and mods feel free to move it if it is . I just had to vent a little. Thanks guys & gals.
    Rick
    1990 Festiva L
    Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Weird my BP car has a clunk in the front end and is very unpredictable on the highway, I am thinking bad alignment or lower ball joint... gonna get it brought in for a wheel alignment and see if they can find the issue...
    90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
    BEFORE AFTER

Comment

To my knowledge when it broke down last month, this was the first time the bearings had even so much as grumbled. I have driven her for 10 years and aprox. 135k miles and never changed them out and now twice in 2 months? that hub almost has to be def. or the bearings def. one. I guess I am getting paid back for the good luck with my bearings all these years. Lol. We will see Tuesday.
      1990 Festiva L
      Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

That's ok... I replaced my wheel bearings in the front, and 2 months later, I had to do them again as well. I usually shop at advance auto... maybe their bearings and/or manufacturers have the wrong tolerance specs or something. Let us know what they say when you get it in there.
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Funny you say that Doyler, my bearings were bought at advance auto. The shop that pressed them on bought the other side at napa and so far no problem. I will definately let you know what the culprit turns out to be.
          1990 Festiva L
          Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

Hmm. Now I'm curious as well. I had my bearings done (RF wheel) literally the day before I left for FM3, and they were completely shot by Feb. of this year. Maybe 12K miles on them. And they had been making noise for a month before that. They came from Carquest, but who knows where they get their bearings. Wonder if all the McParts places get theirs from the same distributor? Anyway, had them done again, with Timkins this time, and so far, so good. Tho, it's only been since March. Guess we'll see.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

yeah mine has 1500 miles on it since new bearings were installed and when I jacked it up it had a full inch of play. My shop that I take mine to uses only napa. When I told him where I bought the bearings for the right front, he shook his head and said don't. I realize that is just one opinion but after this he may have something. Idk.
              1990 Festiva L
              Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

MAKE DOUBLE DARN SURE they put that spacer back in the middle between the bearings. If it ain't there your bearings will be shot in no time.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yeah I wasn't even aware the little spacer existed until the mechanic told me about it and showed it to me. He has helped me on my car many times and he has become pretty familiar with Festivas. Lol. I am confident that he will do it right.
                  1990 Festiva L
                  Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

What do we know about the bearings from FMS?
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I haven't changed front bearings yet, but my main worry about the bearings themselves is that different brands will have slightly different widths, which will mess up the use of the original spacer and make it too tight or too loose.

It's also possible that the same brand of bearings could change specs through time due to different machinery, different milling specs, or simply machinery cutting tool wear, etc.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

seems like they should last a lot longer than just a couple months, i have never had to change my bearings probably still stock to be honest and no issues, id say the new ones you all are getting are either not right or not installed right.
                        91 red l-

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                          Hmm. Now I'm curious as well. I had my bearings done (RF wheel) literally the day before I left for FM3, and they were completely shot by Feb. of this year. Maybe 12K miles on them. And they had been making noise for a month before that. They came from Carquest, but who knows where they get their bearings. Wonder if all the McParts places get theirs from the same distributor? Anyway, had them done again, with Timkins this time, and so far, so good. Tho, it's only been since March. Guess we'll see.
                          i dont know how good our wheel bearings are from timkins but my dad retired from timkin roller bearing in the canton area, and they make bearings for things like CAT, so maybe they make good bearings for our cars too? i think i need new front wheel bearings, im hearing some loud noise at around 15+ mph. i think ill go with timkin. or it could be my tires, i think the tires themselfs are stock lol

Comment

I have had a few issues b4 with wheel bearings going bad.

It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Well just found out that bad bearings were not the problem. When I installed the hub on my car I was supposed to torque the nut to like 180 ft lbs. I made sure it was tight but did not torque it so I am sure it wasn't that tight. Also my jy hub is kind of wallered out and must again be replaced. Don't know if the play wallered it out or if it was that way when I got it. I do know that the mechanic will press this one as well as install it, so I dont have to worry about messing it up again.
                              1990 Festiva L
                              Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

Working...
                              X