Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is time to let it go :(

As per topic title.

Let me start with this. I have been considering this option for quite some time now, and have lost plenty of sleep thinking about it,
    However-

I have decided to finally let the car go after 13 years, 39,000 km of my own road use, approximately 80,000 dollars, many countless hours of stress / time / busted hands etc and many, MANY great times.

The decision has come about because of several reasons.
    1: The upkeep and running costs are difficult to control (my own doing i guess). The MoTeC tune is password locked and as such is bound by a specific (and rare to find) tuner.

2: Many of the parts are one off custom jobs, which are not easy or cheap to replicate / replace. Any new modifications will need genuine, hard work to keep with the current build quality (please don't judge me the wrong way here).

3: It needs a lot of TLC. I don't have the time to detail the outside / inside / engine bay every time i want to go out, or show it. I don't have a problem doing the detailing itself. It's the time (or lack therof) that i have trouble with.

4: The car IS fun- but i just can't trust myself. (again- my own doing). Since last tune the car seems dangerously quick. I can restrain myself okay but the ONE mistake could cost me dearly at a time when i really need to be here physically / mentally and financially for my family.

5: The overall cost of running a third car on one wage, as well as raising a family. I mean- to be fair i could probably convert the Festiva to daily duties and dispose of my daily driver, but that would open a whole new kettle of fish with insurances / premium (high use) fuel, and the slow degrading of the appearance and driveability of the car due to normal road duties and external pollutants (work) etc.

So that's pretty much it.
    I am hoping you guys understand how much i might be asking for the car- but let me start with what's done to it etc..

I am the SECOND owner, since JANUARY of 1998 with only 1,000km on the clock (2 months old at the time). It has a GENUINE factory 40,500 on the clock at current.

Since this rebuild the car has 6,000 km on the motor, trans, wheels/ tyres, interior and paint.

The engine is making 160Kw TO THE WHEELS, with 380Nm torque. It is NOT driver friendly and does not like cruising like it used to. <<Good and bad at the same time? Best 1/4 mile was 13.6 @ 106 (in FULL street trim, PULP, poor (17") tyres, and former power output of 138Kw ATW).

The build quality IMO is high considering it is still a 12 year old Festiva, of which were never really renowned for their build quality to start with.

Most of the build (at least the important stuff) is here....

Full list of current modifications to follow.....

WoW. I never thought I would see this thread. But I do have 2 kids and do understand. Good luck and I know it's worth every penny that you ask. BTW How much?
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

that sucks that you have to let it go i hope it goes to a good home....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

What? What??? I just hope it doesn't end up butchered up like Cam's Festiva. Hope all goes well, considering I think you are insane right now.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Is this an FS thread?
          -Donny
          -1992 Festiva GL
          B6D/E-series.
          -1991 GL
          BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

everything I know is a lie...
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              ...considering I think you are insane right now.
              x2!

But I guess you have to do what you have to do.

Please try to find it a good home.
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Please don't get upset guys. It is already challenging to deal with the possibility of never seeing it again, or the prospect of a new owner ruining what it looks / goes like
                However, my mind is definitely made up.

BTW- i had toyed with the idea of parting it out, but the market is too small for parts that 'can' be quite costly, and hard to ship.

I will repost this in FS with more details next time i log in.

I am asking MINIMUM 15,000 dollars Au.

Comment

Don't take my comment as being mad, or upset. Just a bit shocked, that's all. You gotta do what you gotta do. Best of luck, and as was said by others, please make sure it finds a good, loving home.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by festymick View Post
                    Please don't get upset guys. It is already challenging to deal with the possibility of never seeing it again, or the prospect of a new owner ruining what it looks / goes like
                    However, my mind is definitely made up.

BTW- i had toyed with the idea of parting it out, but the market is too small for parts that 'can' be quite costly, and hard to ship.

I will repost this in FS with more details next time i log in.

I am asking MINIMUM 15,000 dollars Au.
                    I do not think anyone would/should be upset with you for doing what you feel you need to do. I think they are all just in shock right now....I am sure it has been a very tough decision for you....good luck on your sale.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Wow, as everyone else has said, its a shame to see you make this decision but if its in the best interest of your family then i totally understand

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I would suggest parking it for a year or so untilled finances and time improves
                        I did that with the tin can. . . My daughter loves helping work on it
                        Two years after I took it off the road it was back on the road. Time will always be short with young kids so plan projects in segments to last a half hour to an hour as your kid gets older the more they can help

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

if I had the money I'd have you put in a container and ship it to me for safe keeping man. I thought for sure the wife would go first!

You gotta do what you gotta do man, just make sure she goes to a good home!
                          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Best of luck Mick. I know it's tough. That festy was your baby... until you had a baby. I admire your decision.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Mick, I say this as a person who has enjoyed watching a piece of art being painted. A person who has had the enjoyment watching someone with more talent build a beautiful car that thousands of people would love to see much less drive. You have been the most dedicated build of any car that I have seen. Anyone can build a mustang or Camaro (or in your case a Holden or Ford) but it takes more to build a "Throwaway" car to that extent. To be that dedicated to a car and to let it go for your family earns my respect that much more.

I hope you hang around the site though.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X